"Pre-gaming" for Altitude

Kal-Elk

Lil-Rokslider
Background: I was born/raised/live/work at 60' elevation. I see the Pacific Ocean on the horizon daily. My very first Elk hunt I realized very quickly how brutal 8-10k feet can be on us seafolk, despite how much fitness training I put in the year leading into the season. Last year's Muley hunt at 6k went only slightly better.

While looking at campsite reservations for this years hunts, I thought to myself, "Would it be any use staying at elevation for a week or two or more before the hunt?" A couple hours from home are campgrounds at 5-6k feet. If I was willing to make more of a drive, I could stay at 8k at Whitney Portal or Mammoth Lakes. One of the good things that came about from COVID was remote work being instituted at my job, so as long as I can find a cell signal reasonably nearby I can continue business as usual.

I decided to look into it. While looking for more info I came across a study that stated:
The time in days required to achieve full adaptation to any altitude, ascending from sea level, can be calculated by multiplying the adaptation factor of 11.4 times the altitude in km.

For us Americans:
  1. 1km = 3280' = 11.4 days
  2. 1.5km = 4290' = 17.1 days
  3. 2km = 6560' = 22.8 days
  4. 2.5km = 8200' = 28.5 days
  5. 3km = 9840' = 34.2 days
I was wondering if anyone here has tried anything similar? In particular, I was wondering if there were any bonus/drawback of starting at 8k versus 6k. Or another option might be to start at 6k and then transition to 8k. I'm continuing to search for more info t but wanted to see if anyone has explored the subject.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I used to always camp a night or two at about 5-6K before heading up into the 10K plus hikes. Let’s your body acclimate a bit. Altitude affects some people way more than others.

OP
K

Kal-Elk

Lil-Rokslider
I've read a few online articles that suggest 1-3 days provide a benefit, but that the accrued benefits taper off after that window and don't continue to improve until body starts to truly acclimate.

I've tried arriving 1, 2, and 3 days beforehand the past few years and still get hit with lightheartedness and shortness of breath, say nothing of the GI issues. I looked into the possiblity of getting a RX for Diamox, but then I see some of the side effects are the same so it left me looking for other possible solutions.

A month after you started this, but I wanted to say that I would fit in to the 34.2 days (9840 feet) category. I would love to be able to spend that much time where I hunt. Normally I go up to the area a week early to try to acclimate. Last year, I went two weeks early to my hunt area. Stayed at 7800 feet (Motel). Two weeks later on the hunt which ranged about 9000 to 9500, I didn't feel any better than when I went only a week early. SO, the info you provided could be accurate, it might take a while longer than I thought for your body to get fully acclimated. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

2rocky

WKR
I have family with a cabin in the Sierras at 6200 ft. I was contemplating going up every couple of weeks to do some cardio (like a trail run) on Saturday , Spending the night, exercise at altitude, then home at Sea Level Sunday night.

It would be 7 weekends out of 14

Thoughts on whether those sessions would help or do I need more?

Maybe check in with the mountain climbers. 1) They don't fully acclimatize to the maximum altitude, they learn to climb through the suffering 3) Ascend slowly 2) Hunt high - sleep low ... stuff like that. I live at 7000 ft and still get lightheaded and gut-gas at 10. Just stay away from edges and burp a lot.

I don't have an altitude physiology degree, but I'm not convinced that few weekends at altitude will produce any lasting effects if one ( @2rocky ) returns to sea level during the week. We do acclimatize to lower altitudes too.

Last year I used dexamethasone which helped a ton. I'm very sensitive to altitude sickness and didn't have problem one last year using it, sleeping as high as 10.5

dutch2399

FNG
Maybe check in with the mountain climbers. 1) They don't fully acclimatize to the maximum altitude, they learn to climb through the suffering 3) Ascend slowly 2) Hunt high - sleep low ... stuff like that. I live at 7000 ft and still get lightheaded and gut-gas at 10. Just stay away from edges and burp a lot.

I don't have an altitude physiology degree, but I'm not convinced that few weekends at altitude will produce any lasting effects if one ( @2rocky ) returns to sea level during the week. We do acclimatize to lower altitudes too.
Yep

Live high, train low, it results in the best adaptations for athletes. If you can't do that, the first day you show up at altitude from sea level will actually be a pretty good day for you physically. After that, your body is going to struggle to adapt in subsequent days and you'll need to pace yourself until you get acclimated. Water intake is huge as well.