WTB Pre '64 Winchester Model 70

Wapiti151

WKR
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Starting another one of these, because I am still (and always) looking.

Looking for pre '64 Winchester Model 70s that you may be wanting to let go. Looking for pre 64 model 94s as well, or JM Marlins...but am pretty selective with those. Send me what you have!

Thanks!

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
What caliber, condition, variant you looking for?
Caliber is less important to me, more looking at condition. It’s not going to be a donor action or anything like that. Looking for good condition, doesn’t need to be perfect by any means, I like the character in these old rifles. Good with most variants.

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with Pre64.com

They are constantly getting new pre 64’s in. Everything from customs to standard offerings and calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmarrs3

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dredging this up. I inherited a pre64 M70 243 featherweight, among many other firearms. This one is just too nice for me to use. Any interest? If not, any idea how I can get it valued or value it? It appears to me to be in at least excellent condition, with very little bluing wear. The serial numbers match, 579XXX. The stock is so pristine and shiny that I fear it may either be refinished, or a replacement. What else do I need to look for? Barrel length? Other options?

IMG_5263.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5272.jpg
    IMG_5272.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5260.jpg
    IMG_5260.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 56
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Based upon the serial number and the photos your rifle is a pre64, but just barely. It is one of the very last ones made in 1963. Winchester had already cut every corner they could, especially with the stock and metal finish and we’re scrambling to bring out their much cheaper made 1964 model. It is a decent rifle in a good caliber, but is not worth what most of the pre 64s are. If it has sentimental value I would certainly hang onto it, but it would probably not stand out to any collector of pre 64s. I have several of them. Your sort of in a tough spot. It has minimal collector value( per typical pre 64 values) and is probably no better than many other Rem 700s and others of that same decade as a shooter. It took Winchester several years to get the model 70 anywhere close to the quality of even the last pre 64s. From the photos the rifle looks original and correct ( I’d have to look closely at stock to see if it is the original finish). That does help it.

tracker12

WKR
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That 243 is in great shape. Stock is original but may be refinished but hard to tell by a pic. Also the butt were black aluminum not sure if they went plastic at the end. IMG_0866.jpeg I have collected Pre 64 mdl rifles since the early eighties. They are not bringing the prices they used to but still have their following. That gun should sell at $750 minimum. It's very hard to find these guns in decent conditions most good ones are in collections. My 243 FW from a couple yeas ago.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Yea, the early ones (mid to late 50s) had aluminum on the featherweights and steel on the std with pads on a lot of the mags.. Around 1960 they went to plastic butt plates to cut costs.. Based upon the serial no. it should be plastic... I would agree with the above poster at $750 maybe $800 if the stock hasn't been messed with.. The later models will have the narrower checkering panels (again to cut costs).. The early ones had the same checkering panel as the std model..

Matt9122

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dredging this up. I inherited a pre64 M70 243 featherweight, among many other firearms. This one is just too nice for me to use. Any interest? If not, any idea how I can get it valued or value it? It appears to me to be in at least excellent condition, with very little bluing wear. The serial numbers match, 579XXX. The stock is so pristine and shiny that I fear it may either be refinished, or a replacement. What else do I need to look for? Barrel length? Other options?

View attachment 521296
Is this one still available? I'd be interested.