Power Bank Size for 6 day trip

What size power bank would you recommend for a 6 day trip? Only plan to charge my cell phone with it (google pixel 3aXL). Will be keeping my phone on airplane mode for onx, but will also be using it for daily text updates via a garmin explorer.

Last edited:

cmahoney

WKR
I’ve struggled with this, there a lot of variables. In general I’d say a 20,000 MAH would work. Cold really has hosed me when it comes to those batteries. It’s hard to say how much each person uses their electronics too. I bring a small solar panel now on trips over a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a 10-15w solar charger and you can go quite small. Leave the charger out at camp with the solar plugged in, when you get back to camp, You have a fresh supply of Juice.

in a bright sun in north Texas I was able
To fully charge a 20k bank from my solar panel in about 3-4 hours. I was impressed with the efficiency.
Make sure you get a solar charger that can “reconnect” every time the sun ducks behind a cloud though, I think they have terminology for that something like a smart charge or something, that way you really can leave it out and forget about it (unless it’s gonna rain).
Can always hang the charger off the backpack and grab some sun while hiking or glassing too. Lots of ways to skin that cat

Split toe

WKR
My cell phone got zapped last year the first night it got down in low 30s. I learned my lesson and sleep with it in my bag now.

Whatever you end up with, consider splitting you battery between two smaller packs. I have a dark energy that is doing fine for now. A buddy had another brand that took a dive in the middle of a five-day trip. If my dark energy fails I will replace it with 2x anker batteries with each having half the capacity So I would have some redundancy.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
20-24000mAh. I also bring a goal zero nomad 7 to keep it topped off when not in use.
Keep in mind, low temps can have a huge impact on the lithium battery life.

I carry a 26,800 mah Anker with me and have a 20,000 mah Anker stashed as a back up in the truck. It charges my iPhone and Inreach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.5x284

WKR
RAV 32000. It's lighter than the Anker and most other 26800 models. I charge my watch, iPhone 11 Pro, and inReach off it at the same time.

A dark energy kept me charged up for a week. That’s a 10,000 unit. It took a crap so I’m trying the ravpower 15,000. So far I have charged my phone twice and a head lamp. I’m still at 69% power. I think the 15000 will be more than enough with smart charging.

simpy16

FNG
RAV 32000. It's lighter than the Anker and most other 26800 models. I charge my watch, iPhone 11 Pro, and inReach off it at the same time.
how many days can you go with that power bank charging those 3 things?

I use the Anker PowerCore 26800. It may be a little overkill but this thing is bombproof. Its the same model I use in the flightdeck as an airline pilot. For your needs it will charge a standard smartphone from 0% about 10 times. I've never had temperature issues with it, but like mentioned above, below 32F it joins me in the sleeping bag. Weight is 17oz.

JDJHNTR

FNG
I always carry 2 fully charged Anker 20,000’s. Anker is my choice when it comes to power.

mcseal2

WKR
I’ve used the Anker 26800 on a 9 and 11 day AK trip and had battery left over both times. Charged a headlamp, phone, in-reach, and steripen but used all sparingly.