POW boat rental

MThuntr

WKR
Hey guys, we decided to add the option for a boat to our trip to POW in late May. Unfortunately, the Hollis Adventures (one of the more reasonably priced and where the crew has used before) is booked up earlier than previous trips and it seems the few obvious locations found online are either prohibitively expensive or won't allow us to trailer to our lodging at the Polk Inlet FS cabin. It seems like POW will be a busy place this spring as even trying to add an extra vehicle to the trip has led us to have to rent from Ketchikan

Does anyone have any recommendations on where we could rent a boat for a week in late May?

Late May probably has you into the summer fishing crowd. The marathon is May 28 as well, so there will be folks attracted to that.
As I recall most of the boat rental places have the boats at docks.
Polk has lots of roads. Hunting from the rig should work well.

I kind of wonder how many tags they gave away for this spring. The supplement shows 51, but they gave those of us who had 2020 tags 2022 tags. For 2023 they have 180 tags listed.

Last edited:
OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
Late May probably has you into the summer fishing crowd. The marathon is May 28 as well, so there will be folks attracted to that.
As I recall most of the boat rental places have the boats at docks.
Polk has lots of roads. Hunting from the rig should work well.

I kind of wonder how many tags they gave away for this spring. The supplement shows 51, but they gave those of us who had 2020 tags 2022 tags. For 2023 they have 180 tags listed.
4 of us are from the canceled spring 2019 season (2020)...never ending mess. So far most boat rentals won't rent to hunters or require us to be much closer which is understandable. We have 2 vehicles for the four of us so that's our likely option. Thought it would be fun to hunt from a boat and get in some fishing/crabbing. We may grab a canoe at this rate as it would be nice to get in a bit of fishing within reasonable distance of the cabin and possibly for shore hunting relatively close by.

Much of the shore and back bays of Polk and 12 mile arm are road accessible.
Probably crabbing, but I’m not sure what the fishing would be like that time of year with no salmon around. But I can’t recall ever fishing it.

Fuel up there is going to hurt! Wouldn't stop me, but filling up in some of those off the grid places is going to "ouch"

Lets just hope it don't get to the point you cant get gas. I'm not rowing a 22' Hewescraft anywhere.