Ponds?

tony

WKR
Looking at a few parcels of land with houses, 5-10 acres.
Few have ponds on them. Obviously there could be a liability with one. How does insurance view bodies of water on private property? Are rates increased, are there specific policies for water?

Thought about sinking a dry hydrant for my own fire protection and or to help the vollies out.
Any insurance rewards with one?

Got a pond right behind my place. It never came up when discussing policy. And nobody from the insurance company has ever been out here so I'm not getting charged for it. Never really thought about this really. Interesting thought

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't believe they carry the same liability as a man made pool would but I would mark the property with the proper no trespassing signage. Proper as in what the county/state regulations mandate in order to be compliant with the local laws.

I would also consider the source of water. Is it spring fed or does it rely on a creek for input? Not sure that would make any difference in legalities but it is something I would like to know if I were buying.

Fire hydrant = tax break from town or county if FD has access to it. My old man did it with his. IIRC it took about five years from hydrant install to see tax benefit from cost.