POI change

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Question for everybody. I’m shootings a Christensen arms ridgeline 7mm, with a zeiss v4 6-24x50. I had the gun sighted in, about an inch high, at 100 yards. As you can see in the first picture. But here lately, the gun has started hitting about 3 inches low, and even a little right, as you can see in the second picture. I really don’t have any theories except for the only variable being the barrel has broke in more. Any theories, and has this happened to anyone else? I will add, I am very careful with my guns, everything is tight, and nothing I’ve done should’ve knocked it off. While I have been playing with loads, you can see it is consistently low.

Attachments

• CA4C7BE7-332A-4FCE-A63A-DFE5597368B0.jpeg
    CA4C7BE7-332A-4FCE-A63A-DFE5597368B0.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 18
  • BF362A98-DB98-490A-8409-2198EE04DE13.jpeg
    BF362A98-DB98-490A-8409-2198EE04DE13.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 18

SDHNTR

WKR
So you have “been playing with loads?” I assume this means you’ve changed something. And you are surprised that POI has changed? Huh?

You’ve got to keep absolutely everything consistent before you can claim a POI change. Shoot that exact same load again.

OP
T

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
So you have “been playing with loads?” I assume this means you’ve changed something. And you are surprised that POI has changed?
yes. I’ve tried probably 8 different loads in my last 2 range trips, and the point of impact has been the same on all, low and right. Consistently.

nobody

WKR
Could be any number of things. Could be that you're learning the rifle and trigger and getting more comfortable behind the gun and settling in, I've had that happen from time to time on a new rifle.

How consistent are you with your other rifles?

What type of rest are you using? Did you swap from a front and rear bag to a bipod between initial zero and new groups, or vice versa?

Did you change bullet weights or ammo brands between initial zero and new groups?

Are you using the factory brake? If so, have you verified it's not wobbly and lose?

It's also not unheard of to have those Zeiss scopes wander zero from shot to shot for seemingly no reason, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to hear it's faulty. What's your mounting system? Ring type? Base Type? Mounting procedures?

nobody

WKR
yes. I’ve tried probably 8 different loads in my last 2 range trips, and the point of impact has been the same on all, low and right. Consistently.
Did you swap back to your initial "site in" load from day one to see if that ammo was still hitting at your original zero point?

OP
T

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Did you swap back to your initial "site in" load from day one to see if that ammo was still hitting at your original zero point?
Yes I did actually just to see. It did the exact same.

And in answer to your other question, I have a 6.5 prc that’s fairly new and have been very consistent with it so far.
Using the Talley scope rings tightened to factory specs on both.

OP
T

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Find a load you like, then zero rifle again and see what happens.
That’s what I’m going to do. It just wasn’t the first time I’ve had issues with Zeiss, so I was wondering if anyone else had experience similar issues.

nobody

WKR

And in answer to your other question, I have a 6.5 prc that’s fairly new and have been very consistent with it so far.
Keep shooting and see if it's just settled in/you've settled in with it.

What about the other questions I asked?

That said, if it was my rifle, I would pull the scope off and junk the Talley's ASAP. Install a quality picatinny rail and re-mount the scope with either Nightforce or Seekins rings. LOTS of reports and evidence of major issues with the Talleys on this forum as well as others. Oblong rings cause issues in the scopes mounted in them, and cracks running from mounting hole to mounting hole are extremely common.
That’s what I’m going to do. It just wasn’t the first time I’ve had issues with Zeiss, so I was wondering if anyone else had experience similar issues.
If you've already had issues with your Zeiss in the past, can you swap to another known good scope to verify if it's an issue with the scope?

OP
T

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Keep shooting and see if it's just settled in/you've settled in with it.

What about the other questions I asked?

That said, if it was my rifle, I would pull the scope off and junk the Talley's ASAP. Install a quality picatinny rail and re-mount the scope with either Nightforce or Seekins rings. LOTS of reports and evidence of major issues with the Talleys on this forum as well as others. Oblong rings cause issues in the scopes mounted in them, and cracks running from mounting hole to mounting hole are extremely common.

If you've already had issues with your Zeiss in the past, can you swap to another known good scope to verify if it's an issue with the scope?
May have to try a different one if it continues.
I haven’t changed anything, as far as rests and shooting techniques.
Bullet weight has been the same, except for only one of my groups. They have all been low and right.

SDHNTR

WKR

This is the answer I wanted to see.

What about your action screws? Any chance you have messed with those or that they may have worked loose? Have you cleaned the barrels in between? So that one grouping was with a clean barrel and the other grouping was with a fouled bbl?

OP
T

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
This is the answer I wanted to see.

What about your action screws? Any chance you have messed with those or that they may have worked loose? Have you cleaned the barrels in between? So that one grouping was with a clean barrel and the other grouping was with a fouled bbl?
Both groups were tested on fouled barrels. Haven’t messed with the screws or done anything to them that should’ve caused them to work loose.