Pocket sized digital point and shoot options.

LRJammer

FNG
I need a small, pocket sized point and shoot digital camera for an elk hunt I am going on in October. Just need something relatively simple that takes good photos with a micro SD card capability. Something reasonably rugged and weather resistant for roughly $200 or less. Any suggestions of what to get, or just as important, what NOT to get would be greatly appreciated.

Erict

WKR
If you have any relatively new smartphone chances are it takes some pretty good pictures. I'd go that route and add a mini-tripod with phone holder and wifi/bluetooth remote so you can take "selfies". You'd still have plenty of money left over to also purchase an Anker portable cell charger pack.

If you need a camera, pay attention to optical zoom (digital zoom means little) and battery type (if it uses proprietary batteries you may need to figure out how to charge them in the field). I have used several Panasonic Lumix point and shoots in the past and been happy with the photos/videos. Probably worth looking for a good used one for that price. Good luck.

The worst point and shoot is better then the best cell phone. The best bet would be the Canon Powershot 360HS
It has a 12x optical zoom and the HS series from Canon has very vibrant colors and automatically adjusts for most back lit situations. The normal price is $239.99 and comes with a LI-ON battery and charger. As a member of Rokslide we will throw in a 32 Gig card and a case

Feel free to call me with any questions

My personal opinion would be to not spend $200 or less on a true point and shoot, with very few exceptions you are just as well off with a good cell phone, keeping your lense clean and understanding some photography basics it's kind of crazy what they are capable of these days (my wife took my profile picture with her samsung and that was 6 years ago) I can give you some examples of recent photos I have take with mine. That said if you are going to get a camera and want more than what your phone's camera can offer I'd highly recommend spending a little more money and jumping up to a small mirrorless type camera like Sony RX100 or Cannon M50 Mark II. I just purchased a Cannon M50 refurbished on ebay and put the canon 22mm lense on it came in around $500. It technically will fit in my pocket, takes amazing pictures for what it is and I don't mind packing it on a backpack hunt. I took the bellow photo packing my bull out this year with the Canon M50 22mm lense. IMG_0357 (2).JPG

Bowtech55

FNG
iPhone with a phone scope adapter can take some awesome photos through your binos or spotting scope

WyOwen

FNG
Nikon cool pic w300. A little more than the price point but super tough and works well for me

pirogue

WKR
I’d call Joel. A lot of times on a hunt, you’ll want more zoom than a cell phone, and won’t have the time to mess with a scope adapter.