Sold Please sell me a bow - Mathews, Hoyt, Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhenry34

FNG
I'm looking to get into bowhunting after hunting elk with my rifle the past several years. I work for a nonprofit and have two little girls at home who take up most of my time and discretionary income, but I'm hoping one of you might be willing to part with a bow you no longer need. I'm most interested in Mathews V3X or newer, Hoyt RX3 or newer, or Prime Inline 5. 30 inch draw length, 60-70#. Hopefully someone can help a brother out! Not asking for a freebie, but something you'd be willing to sell me at a discount to get me started. PM me with any questions or interest. Appreciate you guys.

fatlander

WKR
This probably isn’t the answer you’re going to want to hear, but I think you need to go to archery shop for your first bow.

You’re going to need help setting it up. It’s not a plug and play like a cartridge is to a rifle. There’s a lot of moving parts (literally and figuratively). Your draw length, weight, peep height, accessories, arrows, and tuning amass to a bunch of different variables you’re going to need help with.

There are plenty of shops that are willing to work on things you didn’t purchase there, but it’s going to cost you. If you buy the stuff from them, they’ll do the setup and tuning for free.

You very easily could think you’re saving money buying used and spend more in the set up than you would have to buy new. Buying used is really only cost effective for the folks that have the necessary tools and knowledge to do all of their own work. Shoot me a PM if you have specific questions, I’ll be happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jhenry34

jhenry34

FNG
This probably isn’t the answer you’re going to want to hear, but I think you need to go to archery shop for your first bow.

You’re going to need help setting it up. It’s not a plug and play like a cartridge is to a rifle. There’s a lot of moving parts (literally and figuratively). Your draw length, weight, peep height, accessories, arrows, and tuning amass to a bunch of different variables you’re going to need help with.

There are plenty of shops that are willing to work on things you didn’t purchase there, but it’s going to cost you. If you buy the stuff from them, they’ll do the setup and tuning for free.

You very easily could think you’re saving money buying used and spend more in the set up than you would have to buy new. Buying used is really only cost effective for the folks that have the necessary tools and knowledge to do all of their own work. Shoot me a PM if you have specific questions, I’ll be happy to help.

Man, I really appreciate the honest feedback. I'm grateful for guys on here that shoot straight (literally and figuratively). I've been to a couple of shops here locally and shot a few bows to help narrow down what I like and don't like, but I totally get what you're saying about setting up a used bow potentially costing more than buying from a shop.

h2so4

WKR
shops might have older/ last seasons model as well. Just be straight with them from the start on your needs / and budget.

krisn416

WKR
I second what fatlander and h2so4 said.

I will say though, there are brands/models that have features which make life easier/possible for users who may not have a press at home, or who are new to archery and don’t know exactly what their draw length and weight are going to be. Those things can change slightly over time, be different between bow makes and models, or you may decide you want to experiment, or develop different preferences over time than when you first started.

I’m not in any way trying to bash or be a fanboy or a particular brand. But, purely from a simplicity of use and adjustment perspective, of the bows/brands I’ve personally used (including a V3X which I sold) and messed around with, Bowtech and Diamond have more features which allow you to make most adjustments and even change performance specs with basic tools, without a press, and without the added hassle and expense of having to swap modules, top hats, shims, cams, etc.

You can find decent deals on the Revolt and Revolt X, and you’d be more than happy (the Revolt X is regarded by a lot of Bowtech hunters as one of the best they’ve made). A Bowtech Solution is also an option but no experience personally there. You’d need a press to time the cams and install a peep (if there isn’t one), but the rest of your tuning and adjustments can be made with basic tools. A Bowtech Icon, Bowtech Assasin, or Diamond SB-1 could be an even less expensive, simple, decent option for you.

Arrows are a factor (spine and length), but you can get close enough if you know what draw weight range you’ll shoot at and a decent measurement of your draw length. An arrow length an inch or two longer would give you some wiggle room starting out. You could figure out arrow length and spine on your own online (mfr’s post spine charts on their sites) and find a starter set used (make sure they are new or like-new for safety reasons), or just buy an inexpensive set at a shop with their help. Then upgrade after you shoot a little while, if needed.

Starting out all you need is a whisker biscuit (make sure it’s slightly larger diameter than your arrows), fixed 4 or 5 pin sight, quiver, and an inexpensive wrist or hand release. You can find these new and like-new for cheap on here and Archery Talk.

Again, not to bash or sell you on a particular brand, just my experience personally with what may fit your situation and budget.

Out of curiosity what state are you located? Also, feel free to PM me as well for suggestions or with questions.

Last edited:
Mathews V3X or newer
I would add the Vertix (2019 model), VXR (2020), and V3 (2021) to your list of Mathews candidates. All their flagship bows from the Vertix onward are very similar...same cam/mod system, similar riser/limb geometry. The older you go, the cheaper you can find them. The only things you lose with the slightly older models are some of the newer bells and whistles (e.g., Bridgelock, SAS). Those upgrades on the newer models range from marginally useful to completely unnecessary ploys to get you to spend more money on accessories.

OP
jhenry34

jhenry34

FNG
I would add the Vertix (2019 model), VXR (2020), and V3 (2021) to your list of Mathews candidates. All their flagship bows from the Vertix onward are very similar...same cam/mod system, similar riser/limb geometry. The older you go, the cheaper you can find them. The only things you lose with the slightly older models are some of the newer bells and whistles (e.g., Bridgelock, SAS). Those upgrades on the newer models range from marginally useful to completely unnecessary ploys to get you to spend more money on accessories.
Great info. Thanks MM

kad11

WKR
I don't have time to bow hunt anymore and am looking to sell my gear. Feel free to PM me if you would consider a fully loaded Bear Archery Arena 34 (w/ sight, drop away, quiver, dozen arrows, broad heads and field points, stabilizer, etc.)

OP
jhenry34

jhenry34

FNG
Go check out the guys at Cinnamon Creek Ranch. Huge selection to choose from and plenty of ranges to shoot on and get dialed in

I've been out there once a couple of months ago and will definitely be back to shoot. By far the best ranges I've found around here.

jcojocaru

FNG
I get what you're saying but if you're careful, it can be perfectly fine buying used 3rd party.

I was brand new to archery and being a cheap guy with little extra to spend, got my draw weight and length and over a year had constantly been looking and shopping packages everywhere. Ended up getting a $3k+ value package for $1250 on ebay from a guy who was quitting due to shoulder issues. Perfect condition v3x 33. Still had original Zebra string in great condition but I bought a new string and took it to a shop to have it setup and tuned to me, only $230.

One shop ridiculed me for buying used so I told them they just lost a customer for life and hung up the phone (they had shit reviews, only went because a friend that lived near them recommended them to me). Second shop I'd seen recommended in forums and the guy was friendly and respectful and ordered strings from a Brite Strings which I've had recommended by both friends and people in the area online.

Bow seems great to me so far, would buy used again LOL

180ls1

WKR
Man, I really appreciate the honest feedback. I'm grateful for guys on here that shoot straight (literally and figuratively). I've been to a couple of shops here locally and shot a few bows to help narrow down what I like and don't like, but I totally get what you're saying about setting up a used bow potentially costing more than buying from a shop.

It is sage advice, especially for a first bow.

If you want a slammin' deal. See if they have any deals on old stock or last year's model Prime bows. You'll get the new bow experience, a nice discount, and free strings every 2 years. That is unbeatable.

Remember new strings and setup on a used bow is easily $200+.

OP
jhenry34

jhenry34

FNG
Thanks to everyone for your help and input. I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.