please school me on jetboil

handwerk

WKR
So for many years I've been very happy with my MSR pocketrocket and still have 2 that see much use. Having said that I've not used the jet boil system...can you folks spell out the advantages it might have over my trusty old pocketrocket(s)
thanks

LostArra

WKR
If you are dialed in with the pocket rocket, I can see no reason to even consider the jet boil.

I use a jet boil, my buddy uses the pocket rocket and we are both happy.

jmez summed up the difference.

2rocky

WKR
What jmez said. The heat transfer rate of the Flux ring and the locking of the cup to the burner is a feature I really like. The measuring cup that covers the burner when packed down is handy and is usually my oatmeal cup in the morning.

I think it is an either/or Ford vs. Chevy thing.

stephen b

WKR
I personally like the PR. If I was going to upgrade my canister stove ( for LG- I have a Whisperlite) , I would go with a MSR Reactor.

I really like MSR stoves. Nothing against JB- it just never really lit any spark in me to purchase/ use one.

Browtine

WKR
I always thought one of the main advantages was the efficiency of the JB system? That being said, I've always used a PR.

Yeah what Rocky said, faster JB boil times = less fuel carried, and convenience of an all in one system. I have both. However, I do think the JB handles wind better.
But nothing wrong with a PR & Snow Peak Ti cup either.
Hunt'nFish

16Bore

WKR
If you have one you probably don't need the other. Unless you like to mess with gear. About the best thing the JB has going is the coffee press, which works like a mofo...

I've been interested in this as well, and from testing I have seen, faster boils don't always mean less fuel used. BTU output has a play in there.

PR is pretty much bomb proof. I've seen a lot more jetboils break than PR'S.

Hey but all the cool kids have jetboils! :)

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
I too am upgrading stoves this year. I think I will end up with a Jetboil SOL. I'm currently running a Brunton Raptor which has been great but sucks in the wind. Thinking something with the flux ring will rock in the wind. I seen Luke Moffats test, that pretty much will give you any info you need to know about the styles like the Jetboil.

ethan

WKR
I find this pretty interesting to. I have biddies that use JB's and love me but I'm still stuck on the size and simplicity of my PR.

OP
H

handwerk

WKR
Thanks for the input guys, my main PR did a great job years ago when we took our 3 kids for 18 days in AK, then a couple AK fly in hunts and many trips out west , not to mention all the BWCA trips, without issue and is still running strong, perhaps a jetboil can wait.

kodiakfly

WKR
Yeah if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have the larger full-size MSR stoves (Whisperlite and Dragonfly) and I'm trying a JB this year because there's so much to gain over the larger stoves. But if I was rocking a PR, I'd not see a big need to switch.

16Bore

WKR
You can try the Sub 14 Wonder. It's as light and compact as I've been able to go with a canister stove, still in it for $100 though. Messed around with the Olicamp this evening and a practically empty canister and it took 3 minutes with my Lite-Max. The flame seems a tad wide for the base instead more concentrated like a JB.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
I've not used a jetboil, so I could be wrong, but with my PR, I use a kettle that can also be used with a wood fire and I don't think the JB can pull double duty there.