Plantars Faciaitis

Going throughs this now. Started in June,, Stopped rucking and it flat won't go away. Trying everything! I only have three weeks to make this go away!!

def90

WKR
I work construction doing low voltage work so I am on ladders all the time. I used to wear comfortable soft soled boots and I eventually got PF.. Same thing, the first dozen steps out of bed were hurt like a bitch or if I sat in my truck driving to the job site I would get out and my feet would be in pain again for the first dozen steps or so.

I happened to buy some Scarpa hiking boots with really stiff shanks/soles for hunting last summer and began wearing them at work to break them in. My PF disappeared after a month or two, I now wear them for work all the time. No problems with the stiff soles.

The bottom of your feet get hammered if you are on ladders and you don't have a shoe/boot that supports the bottom of your feet.

They are these btw, Scarpa Zodiacs, highly recommend them for hunting, hiking, or wearing to work if you spend time on ladders. They are described as being flexible but these are the stiffest boots/shoes I've ever owned as far as the bottoms go.

Been fighting this since June Physical therapy, cortisone injection, none of that seemed to work bought a night boot and that has worked the best I wear it as soon as I get off my feet.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
Heel That Pain full insoles worked for me after trying most of the things listed above. A number of friends that I recommended it to have been cured also. The insoles completely saved one elk hunt for me.

I no longer use the insoles but keep them handy if I ever feel any hint of soreness.

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going through this now. I would get significant pain on the bottom of my heal and severe pain up into the bottom of my Achilles after being on my feet for more than 3 or 4 hours barefoot or a bit longer if I wear shoes. I’ve worked from home for years and I converted my desk to a standup desk with the intention of trying to toughen up my feet, hence the hours spent barefoot.

I recently went to a podiatrist for another problem and I mentioned this issue. He said it was PF, much to my surprise because it didn’t seem to fit my understanding of PF symptoms. He said I have PF because I have low arches and therefore pronate which is causing it. He said barefoot is a big no no. At the very least he said wear my Crocs or Birkenstocks inside the house.

He ordered me a set of PowerStep ProTech Control orthotics. They’re not custom, but they are by prescription only. The company sells both Rx and nonRx insoles. I believe these are identical to their hiking insoles except theres a 2 degree cant in the heal to counteract my pronation. I’ve been wearing them all week and so far no heal pain, but I am getting some arch discomfort because of the added pressure now imposed on my arch from the insoles. He said it’ll take a week or so to get used to them and break them in. They’re fairly well cushioned and if they continue to work out well I plan on getting a second pair for my hiking boot.

He didn’t say anything about stretching or ball rolling.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Wow I wasn't expecting such responses thank you guys. This is a lot of great info. I've been doing mostly finish work for the last 2 months and been wearing Supra Sneakers ( Converse style shoes with flat bottoms).

I'm sure that's contributing to my condition worsening so I'm off to the hiking store in town now to see if I can get a good pair of trail runners with good arch support.

I'll look at the articles you guys recommended and try some of those stretches. The boot should be here by Saturday so I'm hoping that'll give me some relief also.

Thank you for the great information guys I knew I would get it here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mine started in January. It’s no fun I can tell you that. Big no no’s once you have it are:

-walking barefoot
-flat/zero drop shoes/no arch support

Things that I feel have helped:

-threw away all of my prior running shoes with minimal/zero drop
-bought cushioned, STABLE (very important) footbed shoes like Hokas and Brooks Adrenalin GTS 21s. If your shoe is only cushioned and not stable it actually can do more harm that good. It’s important to have a very stable footbed. If you don’t want to throw away your shoes find stable supportive insoles to put in your current shoe.
-frozen water bottle many times a day in addition to tennis ball, to racquet ball to a spiked ball
-I did get an injection in my foot before I ever really tried the flexion boot. My buddy is a podiatrist so it was convenient. IMO, it didn’t help a whole lot however.
-KT taped my arches (this had a huge impact I feel)
-wore a boot at night in bed to keep my ankle flexed back. (This IMO is also a game changer). This is pivotal as it stretches your plantar fascia in a flexed position therefore causing any inflammation that continues to occur, to occur in the flexed position. This will prevent/lessen that needle like sharp pain you have when you take that first step out of bed in the morning and disrupt/tear that inflammation or fascia because your foot (really your ankle) is in a flexed position. It allows the fascia to start healing which is what you want. The repeated microtears prolongs your symptoms. The boot also stretches the Achilles’ tendon and calf muscle. Without the flex ion boot on when laying down or a sleep, the achilles and calves natural “neutral state if you will” is for the both of them to tighten. Tightening of the Achilles and the calf draw the plantar fascia/foot/ankle into extension and worsening your issues. You have to break that cycle and that’s why the flex ion book works/is effective.
-I bought a 2nd flexion boot that is more rigid that I kept by my couch. Any time I was on the couch the rigid boot went in to out my foot into flexion
-immediately after I took my soft flexion boot off I would massage the fascia for a solid 5 minutes. Trying to spread the fibers apart in side to side motion. I would work my way up and down the foot. I would do this 3-4 times a day as well, as time permitted.
-I would stretch my Achilles, calf and even hamstring about 10-20 times a day by either doing wall flex ion exercises, using the stairs, propping them up a the foot of a pedestal chair. Anything that would put my ankle in flexion I would do it as much as possible.
-if it is something that has plagued you for a fairly long time, it may be beneficial to see a Podiatrist and get an x-Ray of your foot. You can develop bone Spurs underneath the plantar fascia that until those are cut out there won’t be anything you try or do that gives you much relief. Not everyone that has plantar fasciitis gets bone Spurs so don’t automatically assume that’s what it is, but if it’s gone on far too long at least go get evaluated to rule it or something else out.

def90

WKR
Wow I wasn't expecting such responses thank you guys. This is a lot of great info. I've been doing mostly finish work for the last 2 months and been wearing Supra Sneakers ( Converse style shoes with flat bottoms).

I'm sure that's contributing to my condition worsening so I'm off to the hiking store in town now to see if I can get a good pair of trail runners with good arch support.

I'll look at the articles you guys recommended and try some of those stretches. The boot should be here by Saturday so I'm hoping that'll give me some relief also.

Thank you for the great information guys I knew I would get it here.

I wore converse all stars as my daily shoe for years, never had a problem with wearing shitty shoes until I hit 49. Once it hits it hits.

Another thing I have learned in the last couple years is that your feet spread out with age. I was a solid size 9 for most of my adult life and I am now a 9.5-10 depwnding on the shoe.

Barefoot vs not.. I'm divided on that, I thing being barefoot strengthens your feet and for years I wore flip flops and actually summited a few 14ers here in Co wearing flip flops. I stopped wearing them for whatever reason and then my PF issues started not long after. Either way, to get out of it do the stretches where you sit on the floor and pull your toes towards you and wear still soled shoes. Should be back to normal in a month or two.

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
I dealt with PF pain for several years and tried a bunch of different things to try and get rid of it. This was about the time New Balance and Vibrams were really pushing barefoot and minimalist footwear. I watched some videos and read some accounts of folks who owly worked into barefoot style shoes to help PF pain. I started doing this slowly, and before long, I was pain free. Fast forward now maybe 10 years later, I never have foot pain now.
I’m not advocating people run out and do this, it’s just my antecdotal experience. This worked for me, and I’ve read accounts from lots of others that experienced the same. The only down side is once you go that way, it’s hard to wear standard type shoes or boots with any sort of heel to toe differential, they just don’t feel comfortable at all once your feet adapt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
Got it bad after a backpack style mule deer hunt. Dealt with it on my own for 2 years...stretching, calf raises, anti inflammatory, etc. This year I have no tags...so decided it was time to try and get rid of it. They (foot doctors) had me try all the exercises and that didn't do it. Then they gave me the shots in both feet. Its been much more tolerable since the shots, and I haven't noticed it as bad. Because your planning to go hunt soon, id recommend you talk to the doctor and see if they recommend the shots. Even if you do get the shots...make sure you have good insoles in your boots and all your shoes. If they are old boots/shoes...replace the insoles with new ones that have support and make sure they work for you before the hunt if possible.
I also have bad ankles and the foot doctor also recommended I stand on one foot and balance for 15-30 seconds on one foot, then switch to the other, and then back etc....as an other exercise. That in addition to the calf raises, water bottle roles, tennis ball rolls, stretching am and PM, all have helped SOME. My biggest concern is that it will come back with a vengeance on my next backpack style hunt when im trying to carry a 50 pound pack for days.....OR even worse.....I get an elk tag and succeed on punching my tag, and then have to carry all the pieces out on my own.

Good luck...there is no quick fix that I know of.

Deadfall

WKR
Back in 2015 I injured my right foot carrying out a heavy buck and round up with planters fasciitis in my right foot. The pain was concentrated specifically in the arch of my foot. I dealt with it for over a month and then was recommended a boot to wear overnight purchase one on Amazon and voila The planners for shiites went away permanently.

Until last week not sure what happened can't link it to any specific incident but it's back in a completely different location. It's pretty intense pain deep in my heel of my right foot nothing in the arch of my foot.

As usual with plantars fasciitis it gets better after I walk around out of bed. By the end by the end of the day being on my feet all day as I'm a carpenter The pain gets progressively worse.

Elk archery opener is in 18 days and I fully intend on hitting it hard but this is going to be a problem. I gave the boot away a couple years ago to a friend who needed it and now I live 2,300 mi away. I order another one it'll be here on Saturday I'm hoping it'll give me some relief.

The information on the internet is so varied from so many different sources. Anybody had success in kicking this do I need to be wearing stiff shoes with a high arch support all day to help mitigate inflamming the tendon? Will taking a break to stretch throughout the day help just curious as to what guys who have been through this have done to get some relief.

Yes and yes

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I just rolled out my heel for about 10 minutes on a slightly larger then a golf ball, spikey ball that my wife had.

I would say that the pain is better by %50. I'm amazed at the result, even though I know the pain will be back in the AM it gives me hope that simple stretching and the boot will help improve symptoms.

03mossy

WKR
roll it on a frozen water bottle.
X100

I deal with this in my right foot. The second I feel it start to flare up I break out the frozen water bottle for 10-15 mins and the pain is gone and won’t come back for a few months.

Been there and have the t-shirt. I actually went to the chiropractor 5-6 times and had her adjust just my right foot. Got schooled on wearing correct work boots with lacing them properly and added insoles to all of my shoes. Bought Keen high arch flip flops for wearing around the house. I have high arches. Did the ice bottle, stretching exercising, etc. The only relief I got and still have is the cocktail she gave me.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and i both have it. Doc told us both not to walk around barefoot. Recommended putting Crocs on when we get out of bed. Wife had to go to PT for it, therapist recommended the same thing. Both of us our PF settled down. Your daily shoes also play a big role. For me, I wear Merrells which I have no need to put inserts in.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Was where you are last spring. Was in a boot for 6 weeks. I'm in my 2nd month of physical therapy, & I can finally get up in the morning without pain. Tough it out this season, then go to a podiatrist & get fixed winter through spring. Getting old... can be unpleasant.

c670809

FNG
It's amazing how different our feet are. I tried a lot of different things; special socks, bedtime boot, multiple insoles, meds, rolling on balls, water bottles . . . The only thing that worked for me was a stiff boot. I wear Crispi's all day, every day and mine has gone away. I wear my boots even to church. If I wear a dress shoe or tennis shoes it comes right back.

Your mileage may vary. It seems a lot of people need cushion but that only made mine worse.

It's miserable, I hope you get it fixed soon.

TheViking

WKR
Going through it now, sucks ass.

I’ve got a shot - meh, kinda helps

Icing, stretching as much as possible throughout the day helps.

Compression sleeve when you sleep helps. Night splint helps too.

THIS WILL HELP YOU GET THROUGH HUNTING SEASON:

Goggle how to tape your foot. The technique is called Low Dye.

Basically you tape your foot when it’s limp and the tape doesn’t allow your plantar to flex and get pissed off.

GAME CHANGER!

Order a few rolls of Leuko tape on Amazon, they’re cheap.

Last edited: