Planning an Alaska Vaca with Wife

Finn16

WKR
My wife and I are considering an Alaskan vacation next summer - probably for 7-9 days. I've been to AK before and my wife has not. Not sure if it will be a road trip on our own or a cruise. We've never done a cruise, and said we never would, but multiple friends have encouraged us to do that so we're kicking that around. Just looking to throw out a wider net for ideas/suggestions/comments on cruise lines & locations and also must-see places whether we do a cruise or do a road trip on our own. This will most likely be our last trip there so we want to do it right.

Thanks in advance!

If you go cruise, choose accordingly. Some are more party oriented and others are more laid back.

wyosteve

WKR
I think a lot depends on what you'd like to see. A cruise will get into some of the towns in SE Alaska that you can't reach by driving. While driving lets you see interior towns so a toss up. We were there a few years ago fishing on the Kenai. We took a day trip (driving) to Seward and took one of the glacier boat day trips. In addition to getting close enough to the glacier for the boat to scoop ice and make margaritas, we saw otters, sea lions, whales, sea birds and mountain goats. Pretty much everything you'd see on a cruise except maybe killer whales. So for me, the driving with a day 'cruise' was much better. So, I suggest defining your preferred sights/activities and go from there.

Flyrodr

FNG
Some years ago, wife and I took a "cruise/tour" trip. One week in ship, leaving from Vancouver, stopping at three coastal cities, ending in Anchorage. Then a week in a bus, sightseeing several places. Both weeks offered optional side trips. We enjoyed it.

hunterjmj

WKR
I lived up there for a few years but I've visited several times as well. Everyone is different but I've never been a fan of taking a cruise with tons of people then running around with the hoards to the different excursions. It's probably cool but not how I see a vacation. I spent a week in a forest service cabin via Petersburg which was awesome and secluded. Spent time in Valdez, which is probably the prettiest place in the US. I'd love to take my family up as well someday and hope to road trip around on our own time and see and do it however we'd like. Whatever you choose it'll be great.

Here's an overview of my family trip to Alaska in July 2017:
  • Day 1 - Flew into Anchorage, rented car & drove to VRBO cabin in Talkeetna.
  • Day 2 - Men went on half day guided (Fishbone Charters) king salmon fishing trip on Talkeetna River. Took jet boat upriver and fished from bank with hip waders. Fishing was good but not great, all 4 of us landed at least one 15-20 lb king and had several others get off before landing. Womenfolk hung out at the cabin and visited Talkeetna.
  • Day 3 - Drove to Denali National Park, rode shuttle bus to Eielson Visitor Center and back. Saw several grizzlies, several moose, many caribou.
  • Day 4 - Drove to VRBO cabin in Cooper Landing. Stopped at Alyeska Resort along the way and rode ski lift up to restaurant.
  • Day 5 - Drove to Seward. My parents & wife's parents took cruise (Major Marine Tours) along Kenai Fjords, saw many whales, sea lions, and puffins, enjoyed prime rib & salmon buffet on boat. "Kids" (wife & I plus my brother & his girlfriend) went on guided (Exit Glacier Guides) glacier hike/climb while parents were on cruise. Exit Glacier tour included rappelling into/climbing out of crevasses with harness, crampons, ice ax.
  • Day 6 - Drove to Homer, took boat (Mako's Water Taxi) to Kachemak Bay State Park. Easy hike to Grewingk Glacier Lake then back to beach to catch return boat.
  • Day 7 - Easy hike along Russian River to Lower Russian Lake. Fished from the shore with no luck but saw hundreds of sockeye salmon in river and jumping up the falls.
  • Day 8 - Drove to Anchorage and flew home.
If I had it to do over again, I'd spend the entire week on the Kenai peninsula with a day or two of salmon fishing on the Kenai River plus a day of halibut fishing. The drive from Talkeetna down to Cooper Landing ate up most of a day, and I was underwhelmed by the main attraction on the northern leg of our trip (Denali NP). I would've enjoyed Denali more if I could've hiked and camped out for a night instead of just riding a bus all day, but given the interests/physical abilities of the group as a whole, extensive hiking or camping wasn't feasible.

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
My dad lives up there so ive visited plenty, and couldnt imagine being stuck on a cruise ship and missing out on the interior. my very first trip is still memorable for me. We rented a truck with a truck bed camper and drove the highway system loop for 6 days, it was about 1100 miles. stopped at various creeks rivers and lakes along the way to fish. we didnt do the denali road but i would like to get a permit and drive that some day. seward is one of my favorite places to visit, albeit a bit touristy. if the reds are in the kenai or russian river its a must-do. Also, you and your wife might enjoy a stop at the chena hot springs if you end up north by fairbanks.

And a shameless plug, if you want to hit the salt for a halibut trip my uncle owns https://gottafish-charters.com/ out of ninilchik, he'll put you on some fish!

Just to update concerning MM itinerary. King salmon fishing is closed in Talkeetna river this year and the Denali Park road is closed for construction/repairs beyond Teklanika.

Finn16, I personally disdain criuises (too many people) a day cruise out of Seward is not bad though.

P. S. The snow is melting big time here on the Kenai! Most of it should be gone below 500ft by Mother’s Day

We took two weeks last year and did a cruise from Vancover to Anchorage and then drove from Anchorage to Fairbanks.

Cruise:
Juneau: Helicopter tour to the glacier
Ketchikan: Halibut fishing and explore the town
Skagway: Self guided jeep tour to the Yukon Emerial lake (awesome)
Glacier bay: Just cruising the glaciers was really cool

Interior: Rented a SUV
Drove to Talketna and spent the day there had a really nice cabin rented right in town.
Denali: Tour through the park and hiked a few trails
Fairbanks: Tour and hiking

There is so much to do that there just won't be enough time. We have been twice and we are planning on going back.

bpa556

FNG
The adfg BOG have decided to only allow so many tourists per year to enter the state. Plan accordingly!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

No human knows what adfg BOG means. Presumably, it’s some state entity.

The problem is, the US Constitution is explicit that states don’t have authority to limit travel of Americans between the states.

adfg BOG can p**s up a rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No human knows what adfg BOG means. Presumably, it’s some state entity.

The problem is, the US Constitution is explicit that states don’t have authority to limit travel of Americans between the states.

adfg BOG can p**s up a rope.

Easy FNG, i see you are new around these parts.

bpa556

FNG
Easy FNG, i see you are new around these parts.

I am relatively new to posting here, but I’ve lurked here for a while.

I meant no harm to anyone’s feelings (adfg BOG excluded, of course)

Schmo

WKR
You really should do the Philips 26 Glacier Cruise out of Whittier. It’s about 5 hours long. They serve you a meal, and you get to see 26 different glaciers, and watch the glaciers calve. It’s pretty incredible. They take you on a 90 mile loop. I’ve done it twice, and I would do it again. It’s $180-$200 per person.