Pipe Dream?

I live in AK and even though it looks like some reloading supplies are breaking free in the lower 48, I doubt it will make its way up here before next hunting season. I finally saw 2 boxes of 200 gr Swift A-frame 338 win mag ammo today on the shelf for $158/box (first 338WM ammo I have seen in store up here since 2020). I am looking at reloading since I can't get the ammo I want. I want to shoot something in the 225-265gr range and have access to reloading equipment through a friend, just need to buy the dies.

I have access to a freight forwarding company who will do hazmat on a barge, but I'll pay handily for it. If I'm going to pay I'd like to get enough powder and primers to last (whatever the hell that means). I know every gun is different and load development will be required. For you experienced guys out there, is there a single powder that is more forgiving? These are hunting loads. I want to shoot close to 1" groups at 100yds. I am looking at Barnes TTSX bullets but open to suggestions. Primers too, are LRM primers necessary for 338WM? It can be cold during hunting season but generally not way below freezing in September. Not looking for "the best", looking for reliably good enough.

If there's a powder out there that would cover 338WM, 30-06, and 270 that would be even better, but premium factory ammo for 30-06 and 270 has been available so far up here.

There are some a number of powders that will work across your range of cartridges. H4350 and H4831 and the similar (but not the same) IMR4350 and IMR4831 have been some of the most consistent for me and can fit all three of the rounds you mention. H4350 is particular is often used in match loads. Reloder 19 and 17 are commonly used in those rounds also, and in the ball powder category, Ramshot Hunter has been good to me.

LR primers can work in magnums, and LRM primers can work in non-magnums. I've used LRM in non-magnums quite a bit.

If you are going to use a TTSX in the .338, I've had luck with the lighter 210 gr and IMR4350 or RL17. For heavier bullets, I've used the 250 gr accubonds and H4831 with good luck.

A good bullet and a consistent powder such as H4350, and your load development will be minimal.

OP
Wild Coast Alaska
The H/IMR 4350 and H/IMR 4831, and RL17 and RL19 seems to be what everyone defaults to. No the trick is to find someone who has primers and powder so I only have to pay one hazmat fee on the barge!

A382DWDZQ

WKR
The H/IMR 4350 and H/IMR 4831, and RL17 and RL19 seems to be what everyone defaults to. No the trick is to find someone who has primers and powder so I only have to pay one hazmat fee on the barge!
You may want to just reach out to Powder Valley or Midsouth and let them know your situation and see if they can help you out with shipping everything at once if you have to purchase in multiple orders over a period of time.

z987k

WKR
If you're willing to run copper bullets like the barnes, why not go with one of the small manufacturers that has had them in stock through the entire period of not being able to get components? Like Hammer, Badlands or Cutting Edge.

As far as stuff available, I know you're down near Homer, but the shop in Wasilla has had powder for many months now. The Vihtavuori powders have been very available for over a year now. I've picked up N550 and 560 locally as in Sportsmans. I had a couple Hogdon powders shipped via Carlile connect a few months back and it was only $20.

As far as a do everything powder for what you're shooting. H4350 is probably the best in the middle of those, but N550 would work as well and I bet you can get an 8lb jug of it in AK.

OP
Wild Coast Alaska
If you're willing to run copper bullets like the barnes, why not go with one of the small manufacturers that has had them in stock through the entire period of not being able to get components? Like Hammer, Badlands or Cutting Edge.

As far as stuff available, I know you're down near Homer, but the shop in Wasilla has had powder for many months now. The Vihtavuori powders have been very available for over a year now. I've picked up N550 and 560 locally as in Sportsmans. I had a couple Hogdon powders shipped via Carlile connect a few months back and it was only $20.

As far as a do everything powder for what you're shooting. H4350 is probably the best in the middle of those, but N550 would work as well and I bet you can get an 8lb jug of it in AK.
I was in Anchorage last weekend but didn't make it anywhere but Cabelas. Will be in Anchorage again in February so I'll hit all the shops up there then. I'll look into Carlisle Connect. Our local outfit fills the niche but he wants $180 per shipment to the consolidator in Fife, WA. So if I buy 1000 primers from Midway And powder from Powder Valley that's 2 shipments so $360 on top of shipping and hazmat to Fife, WA. It only costs me $160 RT to Anchorage 🤣.

Some of the headaches of living here but this is the view from my front porch this morning. Still worth it!

Happy Solstice!20221223_101404.jpg

z987k

WKR
I was in Anchorage last weekend but didn't make it anywhere but Cabelas. Will be in Anchorage again in February so I'll hit all the shops up there then. I'll look into Carlisle Connect. Our local outfit fills the niche but he wants $180 per shipment to the consolidator in Fife, WA. So if I buy 1000 primers from Midway And powder from Powder Valley that's 2 shipments so $360 on top of shipping and hazmat to Fife, WA. It only costs me $160 RT to Anchorage 🤣.

Some of the headaches of living here but this is the view from my front porch this morning. Still worth it!

Happy Solstice!View attachment 491379
Just get a big order together and do the Carlile thing. It's $20 from Tacoma and Kenai is a pickup option.

OP
Wild Coast Alaska
Just get a big order together and do the Carlile thing. It's $20 from Tacoma and Kenai is a pickup option.
Thanks for turning me on to Carlile! I called them today and Kenai has a terminal. Its $23 including the hazmat. Talked to a guy there who was very sympathetic to our cause and very helpful. We usually make it up there at least once a month.

I will check out the other bullets you mentioned as well.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a Three Bears on the Kenai? If it is in one of their stores somewhere they will bring it to the store you want for free. I've ordered powder through them more than once. Another place to check out is Boondocks in Eagle River, small store but they have had powder, bullets and a few primers when I go in there.

Last edited:

You mean like in a loaded rifle cartridge?

No, I mean a box of primers, and a container of powder. They have to be shipped separately.
I tried to order RL19 powder and 1000 Federal 215M primers from Selway Armory earlier this year (January 2022 actually), and was told it had to be shipped separately, with two Haz Mat fees (one for each package).

Last edited:
Could be that was their policy?? Or maybe coming from two different locations?? But I ended up just ordering the powder, I found the primers at my local Cabelas.

z987k

WKR
No, I mean a box of primers, and a container of powder. They have to be shipped separately.
I tried to order RL19 powder and 1000 Federal 215M primers from Selway Armory earlier this year (January 2022 actually), and was told it had to be shipped separately, with two Haz Mat fees (one for each package).
I know. I just think it's funny that you can't ship powder and primers together, or that seperately they're class 1 - explosive, but if you put them in an enclosed space and put a projectile on top, making them more deadly and in much closer proximity to each other, then it can be shipped. No issue.

I know. I just think it's funny that you can't ship powder and primers together, or that seperately they're class 1 - explosive, but if you put them in an enclosed space and put a projectile on top, making them more deadly and in much closer proximity to each other, then it can be shipped. No issue.
I think it must be some Govt mumbo jumbo just to try to keep law abiding citizens from making such purchases. If they charge us more and more for shipping, haz mat, taxes, etc we won't buy as much (or so they think). If I need primers and/or powder, I will have to pay what it takes and even pay excessive haz mat fees if need be. They have us by the short hairs, unfortunately. I won't do without, and that's what they are counting on.