Pics of paratarps?

amp713

WKR
Debating grabbing a paratarp and annex set up for earlier seasons, just wanting to see some pics!

Was torn between recon bivy, sheep tarp or paratarp. Paratarp seems like it would be the most versatile especially with an annex

Like everything, it depends. I have not spent a lot of time inside with it pitched to the ground. I am over 6' and it is cramped with gear inside but the coverage is solid. It is light enough to carry while hunting and if some shelter for the night is all you need it is definitely worth it. I would not hang out in it or want to spend a lot of extended time weathering a storm inside.

Pitching it up higher or with a corner/side raised is much more livable and can be made pretty roomy. In rough conditions you may still want a bivy sac with a high pitch.

For another 4 to 5 ounces the DST offers more flexibility with pitch options and can be made quite roomy. But without side tie-outs the DST may not be as wind worthy as the paratarp when pitched low and tight.

I don't run an annex or stove so I can't comment on that.

Iv put a lot of nights in under a paratarp. It’s not a bad option for decent weather, and if your not too big of a guy. At one point I had an annex and a stove, but IMO it’s just too small of a shelter to use it with an annex and stove in the traditional pitch. I almost never pitch it right to the ground. If a tight to the ground pitch, and an annex is what you want I’d look bigger. I use mine with a bivy underneath, when weather gets bad I prop my half zlite foam pad up against the pole like a mini annex.

Not my first choice for a shelter if I’m expecting weather. But certain times and places it’s a pretty slick setup. A bivy makes it a great run and gun shelter: it’s very light and takes up no space at all.

hROD1Y1.jpg

OAZ7Tyu.jpg

I’d go with the para. I wouldn’t want any smaller and I’m 5’6 150lbs.

Any other questions let me know: I have a lot of nights under the paratarp. Most good, some bad, and a hand full of wet nights.

Iv put a lot of nights in under a paratarp. It’s not a bad option for decent weather, and if your not too big of a guy. At one point I had an annex and a stove, but IMO it’s just too small of a shelter to use it with an annex and stove in the traditional pitch. I almost never pitch it right to the ground. If a tight to the ground pitch, and an annex is what you want I’d look bigger. I use mine with a bivy underneath, when weather gets bad I prop my half zlite foam pad up against the pole like a mini annex.

Not my first choice for a shelter if I’m expecting weather. But certain times and places it’s a pretty slick setup. A bivy makes it a great run and gun shelter: it’s very light and takes up no space at all.

hROD1Y1.jpg

OAZ7Tyu.jpg

I’d go with the para. I wouldn’t want any smaller and I’m 5’6 150lbs.

Any other questions let me know: I have a lot of nights under the paratarp. Most good, some bad, and a hand full of wet nights.

Thanks for that feedback, I'm about the same size so that answers alot especially about the annex!!!

Back