Picatinny rail.. worth it?

JMalmy

FNG
About to buy a new bow and it’s boiled down to a Ventum Pro 33 Evo NXT XF 33 with EC/s2 cams. About the same weight for packing purposes. Is it worth it to go with the Ventum for the picatinny rail system? Local shop says it’s going to count in the field with everything being mounted in the middle. It shoots nice, but I liked how my pops PSE stinger shoots so…. Is the rail system worth it?

Personally I think it's pretty stupid. It doesn't allow for very much in and out to torque tune if you are interested in that.

For a solid mounting platform that is streamlined I think mathews bettered it by a lot.

I think the Ventum Pro is a pretty good bow, I haven't shot enough PSE's to say which is better, but I wouldn't make a choice based on sight mounting systems.

OP
JMalmy

JMalmy

FNG
Appreciate the feedback. I was planning on shooting the XF and the Ventum Pro side by side. I was originally told they didn’t have a XF I could shoot. Come to find out that was wrong. I will definitely go for which feels better, but wanted some feedback on the whole rail system deal

It's a marketing ploy that results in you moving your sidebar a little more inward to balance your bow out.

Coin toss. I have a BG Dual trac pic mount. Its about 4" out in front of the riser. Its handy if you plan to take the sight off for whatever reason. Picatinny rail is highly repeatable if its cut to spec. I take scopes off my pic mounted rifles and I'm not at all worried about my sights being off out to 600(furthest I shoot).

Its not coming off unless you don't tighten the tension bolt. I haven't shot my bow in 5months because I tore my bicep tendon off and just now finishing up therapy.. So its a bit late for getting back into the archery game using a 80# bow this season

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I would just choose the bow I liked more. Moving the sight in 3/4 inch isn't that big of a deal in my opinion

It's soo stupid it's unreal.

Picatinny rails have lug notches for a reason. The hoyt design ignores the most important design element.

It's soo stupid it's unreal.

Picatinny rails have lug notches for a reason. The hoyt design ignores the most important design element.

Explain a bit more. Are you implying the pic rail should be used for windage instead of elevation? Or that the pic rail is improperly machined?

The picatinny rail, any of them, has notches cut in it for a recoil lug. This is to prevent motion because it was determined that an angular clamp moves. The recoil lug is a positive stop.

Hoyt's use ignores this feature and relies on angular clamping to keep it from moving. The lugs do not work as intended and are no longer aligned with recoil forces.

Hoyt is either retarded or they relied on buyers being excited about employing a technology they were previously familiar with. Either way as a design its complete garbage. But it looks cool...and some really prioritize that aspect above all others.