Picatinny Rail vs Talley Lightweight rings

Trying to decide on a scope mounting option for a 300 win mag weatherby vanguard. Which one of these options will give me the best job with the least amount of fuss. Talley lightweight rings and then lapping if needed or Vortex precision matched rings with a picatinny rail and bed the rail to the action if needed. Scope is a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44mm. Also which picatinny bases have you guys had good luck with talley, weaver, EGW, or night force? Thanks for the help.

I have used several NightForce and EGW bases and the NF are better but much more $. In my opinion they are worth the extra cash but everyone has their own threshold for pain and performance. The NF rings and Vortex rings are both excellent quality.

Broz

WKR
You have a good rifle and a good scope. Don't make a weak link between them. In the end you will be glad you used Nightforce rail and rings.

OP
Moose Drool
Thanks for the info, looks like the NF rail is only $57 for the Howa/Vanguard action so not bad at all.

do you guys bed your rails? Do you lap your rings? I thought it was pretty much a must but have read that many don't if using top of th line stuff like NF.

Joe

do you guys bed your rails? Do you lap your rings? I thought it was pretty much a must but have read that many don't if using top of th line stuff like NF.

Joe

I've done it all and none of it...hasn't made a difference in any of my rigs. I suppose it certainly could, though, with different components.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a NF rail and rings for a new rifle. The rail had a little bit of open space so I just bedded it to make sure (NF also recommends this). NF tells you not to lap their rings because they are precision manufactured and you would void the warranty if you did so.

Broz

WKR
I bed all rails. With the difference in machining on the top of receives and bottom of rails I feel it is good insurance. Plus I like the idea of 100% contact between the two.

Jeff

n2horns

WKR
I ran EGW rail and Burris Extreme rings. Lapped and squared it all. Rifle did fall 2 years ago. Came back and shot it, nothing moved. I was impressed, the scope took the brunt of the fall, Zeis Conquet 4.5x14x50.

sendero72

FNG
Tally makes a picatinny rail and rings to match. Listed under the tactical product line. I have a set for my 7 mag.