Phase 4 33 or VTM 34

I see the Mathews grip mentioned a bunch as a negative. What is it that people don’t like?

Personally I don't like the low wrist. I prefer a medium.

Also the rounded back is supposedly more sensitive to torque than a flat back. I don’t know,I haven't personally found that, I just don't like the low wrist and I put something more along the lines of a medium on it. It happens to be a flat back.

Falro

FNG
I see the Mathews grip mentioned a bunch as a negative. What is it that people don’t like?
It’s a comfortable grip it’s just hard to always get the same grip to be consistent with it. It seems to want to slid around and I feel like it’s to rounded in the back. A lot of people take it off and use bat tape or something and wrap the riser. It’s not the worse grip ever but could be improved. That being said some people love it!

TheTone

WKR
It's rounded. Most people prefer a slim square grip.
I figured that out today when I got some time with mine. Man the bow shoots awesome and I think the grip is comfortable but I was able to easily see the torque I could put in it with my hand especially near the top of my hand. I’ll wait for more time with it but I’m already thinking side plates may be in order

Reactions: Zac

madhouse

FNG
I shoot without any stabilizers at all and can out shoot most of my buddies out to 90 yards. For a hunting bow I don’t get enough out of a stabilizer to want to make me pack around more weight. That being said obviously there is some benefit, just not enough for me to want to deal with it. From my experience I don’t even see any improvement really till I get out to 60+ yards and even then it’s not crazy. I feel like it’s a personal preference thing as far as hunting goes. If you are going to run a front and back bar I would recommend doing it right and going with at least 10+ inch or more on the front and at least an 8 on the back. The shorter stabilizers are basically just adding weight to your bow without getting that much benefit.
Wondering what kind of grains are you shooting

I have found a back bar helps me. Shot for years without one, then added one and I noticed a difference that it was worth the pack around the woods. But as has been mentioned not much different unless around 60yrds +. I noticed two improvement for me. The float of my pin settled and slowed down and the back bar allows the bow to balance easier and sit vertical, so my hand remains natural and I am spending less time leveling it against the quiver weight. I also never take the quiver off. So that may matter to you as well. Some set ups/bows have more weight in places that cause balance issues.

For reference I am shooting a v3x 33, and I shoot with shadow creek side plates, because the Mathews round grip thing was a problem for me.

madhouse

FNG
Around 408 grains i belive. I was shooting lighter but went the longer insert this year since I shoot fixed blades and I think it helped tighten my groups.
I was thinking about going to 125 fixed myself this year and maybe slightly heaver shaft. I didnt think about adding instead into the insert

Falro

FNG
I was thinking about going to 125 fixed myself this year and maybe slightly heaver shaft. I didnt think about adding instead into the insert
Gold tip makes a 50 gain insert that’s longer that helps make sure your insert is aligned with the arrow if you’re shooting fixed blades. So it’s a win win for me if I want more weight

JBF92

FNG
Keep an open mind, and don't let a brand sway your decision. Go in there and shoot what the shop has available. They are more than likely going to have a bow that is just right for you

Duh

WKR
Switched from the Mathews Vertix to a 80lb Hoyt VTM 34. Couldn’t be happier with the balance of the bow, overall speed, and groups so far. Just ordered a quivalizer to try something new this year. Primarily hunt spot and stalk in south central ND.