Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) or Garmin Inreach (Mini)?

muddydogs

WKR
I've got experience with the PLB, Spot and InReach. There's no comparison if you want to be able to have two way communication then the InReach is it. If you want a cheaper alternative then the PLB is a good choice and the only reason to go with a PLB unless your doing a lot of aircraft travel.

I look at it this way, you spend the money on some type of communication device wouldn't it be nice to be able to use it to communicate with the wife or summon help if you have vehicle trouble?

My employer outfits the field going employees with InReach's and after a lot of research we went with this PLB for aircraft travel. Amazon.com: McMurdo Fast Find 220 PLB – Programmed for US Registration: Cell Phones & Accessories

Rokwiia

WKR
I think it depends on the individual's needs. I have the ACR ResQLink PLB and the reason I chose is the satellite system used. It uses Cospas-Sarsat which is the government-operated search and rescue system. I believe InReach and SPOT connect to a USA-based privately run commercial operation using the Globstar system.

I didn't care about being able to send "I'm OK" messages or communicating with anyone. I wanted a dedicated, streamlined unit that would absolutely, positively call the cavalry if tragedy struck while out alone backpacking. When I select my next unit, given what the technology is today, I would make the same choice.

Simplicity rather than something trying to provide topo maps and texting along with disaster signaling.

muddydogs

WKR
I think it depends on the individual's needs. I have the ACR ResQLink PLB and the reason I chose is the satellite system used. It uses Cospas-Sarsat which is the government-operated search and rescue system. I believe InReach and SPOT connect to a USA-based privately run commercial operation using the Globstar system.

I didn't care about being able to send "I'm OK" messages or communicating with anyone. I wanted a dedicated, streamlined unit that would absolutely, positively call the cavalry if tragedy struck while out alone backpacking. When I select my next unit, given what the technology is today, I would make the same choice.

Simplicity rather than something trying to provide topo maps and texting along with disaster signaling.

Thing is the InReach will call the cavalry and I have not heard of one instance were it didn't plus the inreach not only gets the help but one can tell the call center exactly what help is needed, where to access the area or maybe even a good helicopter landing area. Need the police instead of medical well you can tell them that. Having vehicle problems, contact someone you know and have them help find a wrecker or other help. I guess I just see it as a no brainer after needing help a few times that that wasn't sever enough to be activating a distress signal.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
The inreach is awesome! I like the larger explorer because if my phone dies/breaks I can still text or look at maps via the garmin. Not sure if the mini has that capability or not.

The earthmate app kicks butt too

OP
NevadaZielmeister
Thank you for the input guys. In my few years in Search and Rescue, we never saw anyone using these devices. I guess it really shows how we were simply holding the hands of the unprepared. If they had been prepared with one of these, they likely are prepared in other areas, thus the lack of need or use of these devices.

While reading these comments and speaking with the wife, I think the PLB is favored. The reasons were that she was not worried about being in contact with me, quite the opposite, she wanted me to get away from my hectic life but still wanted me to be able to get help in case of a dire emergency. There are a lot of ways I can see this device saving the lives of the victims we recovered.. months after their passing.

I'll check out the other PLB mentioned in this thread. But will hold off until we feel comfortable. Any other ideas? Am I missing anything else?

oldgoat

WKR
Thing is the InReach will call the cavalry and I have not heard of one instance were it didn't plus the inreach not only gets the help but one can tell the call center exactly what help is needed, where to access the area or maybe even a good helicopter landing area. Need the police instead of medical well you can tell them that. Having vehicle problems, contact someone you know and have them help find a wrecker or other help. I guess I just see it as a no brainer after needing help a few times that that wasn't sever enough to be activating a distress signal.

This!

CorbLand

WKR
I went through the same thing when I was looking at get something and I ultimately ended up with the inReach. I settled on it after reading one thread on a forum about a guy that went elk hunting in Idaho for 8 days. On day 2 his father in law suddenly passed away and nobody had anyway to contact him. I went with the inReach for the reason that if you are ever needed for anything, you can be contacted.

Beendare

WKR
Has anyone seen where someone with the InReach units couldn't send out a signal? Down in a deep canyon or something?

I've never heard of a PLB not broadcasting....but then again....if it didn't the guy probably didn't live to tell the story!?

I'm considering one of these Minis vs a sat phone every year.....curious about the reliability.

muddydogs

WKR
My 2 person field crews carry 1 sat phone per crew and each carry an InReach. From watching the InReach track data and daily messages which we get probably 30 a day from 80 units we have not noticed any troubles getting out from about anywhere. This spring at training it was brought up and confirmed by a few guys that the InReach was sending a signal in areas that there sat phones weren't even picking up a signal or not enough of one to make a reliable phone call. The office ladys that take sat phone calls are always talking about poor reception, dropped calls and crews calling 3 + times before they get through without being dropped. Crews have learned to talk fast and get the important info out right away because half the time they will be disconnected before the info is relayed if they waste time.

Above info is with the InReach SE, Explorer, SE+ and Explorer +. We don't have any Mini's in the fleet at this time.

This was my reason for choosing the ResQLink+ PLB as well. If you handle one, it’s easy to tell that it is a commercial grade piece of survival gear, rather than a consumer grade ruggedized cell phone. The other thing about the inReach is that I assume it’s possible to run the battery down using the GPS and other functions, to where it is unable to broadcast your location for very long.

That being said, I like the benefits of the inReach for communicating in the field, if the guys you’re hunting with have one. If I kill an elk with my bow an my partner is hunting the next canyon over, I’m not going to have any help. Similarly, if I drive the meat to a processor in town the next morning, I don’t have a way of meeting up with him besides back at camp that night. Sure, we could make a plan to meat at a certain spot on the map at a certain time, but that’s an inconvenience to a guy chasing animals.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a SPOT communicator previously (never had any trouble w/ mine in the three years I owned it), but upgraded to the inReach this year. I used in the Bob Marshall Open (a multi-day event across the Bob Marshall Wilderness in May). When we decided after day 3 we needed to bail due to the record stream flows and subsequent hazardous fords, it was awfully nice to text a detailed message on what trailhead and what time to be picked up.

From a safety standpoint, a feature of both the inReach and SPOT, is that you can put in track mode (w/ very little battery usage) and it gives whom ever you choose the ability to track you in close to real time, if something "really bad" were to happen, they (SAR) would have a very good place to start by viewing the track.

The Explorer is also a full featured GPS, so one less thing to carry as well.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
David56