Percent of Elk Killed - mornings or afternoon?

tfitter

FNG
I would like to start a discussion on the percentage of your elk killed - mornings or afternoon?

A couple of the more experienced guys in my camp last fall didn't even hunt past 1 in the afternoon as they said that they've always killed elk in the early to late mornings. We are hunting fairly pressured public ground in CO.

Wondering what is your percentage on the elk killed?

I think we may be able to learn a bit if we get enough responses. Thanks for the info!

-Tyler

5:1
Mornings:Evenings

Interesting though, I've killed more Mule Deer in the evenings the past few years than in the mornings. They were in better places to stalk in the evenings.

cgasner1

WKR
I seem to have better luck in the afternoon but my morning hunt is close to a scout for my evening hunt I like follow them to bed and lay and wait for the evening hunt within a few hundred yards of the herd

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
Public land colorado for our group. Mainly morning kills for us.

elkguide

WKR
50 - 50. Better luck calling in the morning but have killed just as many at dusk once the rut is over.

All of my elk except for one have been shot before noon, I think most in the first two hours of daylight.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of the more experienced guys in my camp last fall didn't even hunt past 1

This could be why they don't kill any in the evenings.

I would guess that there are more elk hunters hunting in the mornings than the evenings, overall, and this likely skews the results.

I have killed them in the mornings, midday, and evenings, but I would suppose more in the AM than PM.

OP
tfitter

tfitter

FNG
Bitterroot Bulls - I think they used to hunt all day long for the better part of 20 years and more recently don't bother going out in the afternoons. Partly because they had never killed in evenings, but also because they are getting older and need to recover/rest. One of the guys in my camp this fall was 82 years old.

Thanks for responses everyone! I will still be hunting all day, mostly because i need the experience. But, I am finding the results interesting!

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
2 morning and 0 evening.

I've had encounters in the evening just not able to seal the deal.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Out of my last 6 or so bulls, 5 have been in the afternoon/evening. My biggest was at noon. I find them then shoot them when they come out to feed in the evening. Works pretty well for me. I don't really hunt very hard for elk though. Didn't even buy a tag this year. Hate carrying those stupid things

LandYacht

WKR
My first archery elk was before noon, all the rest archery or rifle have been after the noon hour except one that I shot right after my wife shot hers. I was with my wife for her first elk and it was around 9am, the rest have been after the noon hour as well. Added them all up and I suppose we are at 3 in the morning and 10 in the afternoon or evening. I see waaaay more elk after breakfast and get close encounters after lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
I love hunting the evenings but most of the Elk I've gotten were in the morning.Thermals are often more consistent longer in the morning which is a big plus.

WyoElk

WKR
I've killed most of my elk in the mid-day although I would say the AM is usually best. I've killed elk in the evening but usually it's just a scouting mission for the morning hunt.