Peep Alignment

wnelson14

WKR
Is it normal for a peep to be about 90 degrees off when bow is standing, but perfect at full draw? Just got new strings installed (A3 Archery bloodline) at a local shop. He said it was normal. I have zero faith it’s going to stay working out like that. Shot about 20 arrows at the shop and was shooting great.

KBC

WKR
Does your D loop match your peep? You should shoot it a bunch until you are sure the peep has settled and then rotate the string so your peep is straight. D loop should match.

10ringer

WKR
90 degrees off is not ideal. It will shoot fine as you break in your new strings. But once you’ve hit 200 arrows have the shop straighten your peep if need be and re-tie the d-loop to be inline with peep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a matter of fact, I’d get the bow completely tuned after the 200 shots or so, not just peep alignment. Check timing, center shot, draw length, poundage, and paper tune with you shooting your arrow at the shop.

You mean you are getting peep rotation?

Like at rest it sits 90 degrees, then as you draw back it comes around and is straight?

Might settle, but I kinda doubt it. String bundles are a little off.

OP
wnelson14

wnelson14

WKR
You mean you are getting peep rotation?

Like at rest it sits 90 degrees, then as you draw back it comes around and is straight?

Might settle, but I kinda doubt it. String bundles are a little off.
Yes, at rest it’s 75-90 degrees off and as I draw it comes towards me to perfect alignment, I’m right handed.

OP
wnelson14

wnelson14

WKR
Does your D loop match your peep? You should shoot it a bunch until you are sure the peep has settled and then rotate the string so your peep is straight. D loop should match.
D loop is perfectly straight at rest, and as I draw peep rotates towards me to straight, I’m right handed.

OP
wnelson14

wnelson14

WKR
As a matter of fact, I’d get the bow completely tuned after the 200 shots or so, not just peep alignment. Check timing, center shot, draw length, poundage, and paper tune with you shooting your arrow at the shop.

Thank you, I plan to do that.

Yes, at rest it’s 75-90 degrees off and as I draw it comes towards me to perfect alignment, I’m right handed.

Shoot it for a while, see if it stops. Check if the string builder offers any kind of warranty for it. Technically it's not a problem with the string, it won't make it creep if it's quality material, but I wouldn't like it. Some warranty against peep rotation, not familiar with the company you went with.

sndmn11

WKR
If it aligns perfect at 90deg AND at 30deg (temperatures) it wouldn't bother me. I would bet it would not.

See if you can stick it in a chest freezer to cool off for 5-10min and then take a few shots.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Is it normal for a peep to be about 90 degrees off when bow is standing, but perfect at full draw? Just got new strings installed (A3 Archery bloodline) at a local shop. He said it was normal.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

That may be "normal" for some folks, but NO.......it doesn't have to be that way.

bowuntr

WKR
Back in the 80's and 90's that's how it worked... not today. Something is wrong with your string... quality control for one. Take it back... Ed F

Last edited:
Who installed the peep? Are you sure it is in the center of the string with equal strands on each side? This could cause unwanted twist. Or is the string itself over twisted? Check the specs on the bow, ata, brace and poundage this should tell you if something is off.

If these all check good, would suspect poor quality of string build?

no a peep should not move on the draw, and any shop that installs a peep at 90* is not a shop i would let tune a bow. that being said the problem could be the bow (indirectly) or the string. prime bows have a habit of doing that because of the doughnuts. if its the string then they may have served the string backwards on one end but id guess the shop doesn't really know how to install strings or peeps . if you do have a prime bow then the shop would have to know how to twist the cam string to keep the doughnut from moving.

OP
wnelson14

wnelson14

WKR
Thank you for all the replies, this goes to show if you want something done right you have to do it yourself, and reassured me investing in a press and DIYing bow stuff is the best option. The guy who installed the strings was hesitant to do it and wanted to know why I needed new strings? so there shows my confidence that he did it right.
There is a another bow shop close that maybe I can put more confidence in to fix it right for the time being.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I had similar issues (probably only 45 degrees off) with a shorter axle to axle bow I shot that had dual string stops. The string was served really low on the top to get past the top string stop. I'm a taller guy and so my peep needed to be relatively close to that served in portion. This made it so my peep was just too tight with the serving and it would rotate from rest to full draw. Once I got it set so it was perfectly aligned at full draw it actually was very repeatable. Shot it well for hundreds of arrows practicing all summer.

I ended up getting a string builder to build me a string before hunting season without it served so low on top and that solved the issues. Bow didn't really shoot better, but I felt better about it. ha. Sold the bow and went back to longer axle to axle bows without dual string stops and have never had the problem again.

S.Clancy

WKR
The peep may not be in the center of the string. If there is more strands on one side or the other it will rotate to string heavy side. I have done then, went back and centered the peep and all was good again.

I always encourage people to do their own work and learn, so if you have been thinking about it then I say go for it. just keep in mind there's a lot to it and its a learning curve so you will make mistakes, don't be discouraged. another thing with tying in peeps or any serving on a string, you have to serve in one direction with the twist or you will get rotation.
also, there may be someone here from your area who can either help or tell you of a good shop they trust.

OP
wnelson14

wnelson14

WKR
I always encourage people to do their own work and learn, so if you have been thinking about it then I say go for it. just keep in mind there's a lot to it and its a learning curve so you will make mistakes, don't be discouraged. another thing with tying in peeps or any serving on a string, you have to serve in one direction with the twist or you will get rotation.
also, there may be someone here from your area who can either help or tell you of a good shop they trust.
Awesome thanks, was thinking about getting some stuff to start tinkering and possibly getting an older used bow for tinkering, I'm in Hollister, Ca if anyone is around!