Patching kuiu waypoint duffle

My wife and I used this bag a few years ago going to Alaska on a caribou hunt. Bag works great. Prolly bigger than we needed but functioned well. Somewhere along the way the airline was gracious enough to damage it. I finally got around to repairing it and used aqua seal. I cleaned the area with alcohol and let it dry. Then applied the aqua seal. It dried over night and to my surprise I was able to peel most of the sealant off with my fingers. The only place it really sheared was where the damage was down to the fabric in the bag. Otherwise it came right off.

Any ideas what the issue is or where I screwed the pooch? Or maybe a better product? I did notice that the sealant came out with tiny clumps in it. Wasn’t sure if that’s normal and I tried two different tubes. Both new and both came in same packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ddavis_1313
cb6e0af94a522653fbbaa42fac9d8421.jpg

Aquaseal should have fixed it. I'd get a new fresh tube and try it again. Maybe try scuffing up the area you will put the sealant on?

I've used regular Aquaseal to patch waders, packrafts, and other stuff with zero issues and some of them are going on 7 and 8 years of fairly rigorous use.

ODB

WKR
There is a product called no so patches you might look at. I have not used them
But see them advertised. Supposed to be good for jackets sleeping bags etc. they are hunter friendly too.

OP
ddavis_1313
Did you call Kuiu? I bet they can fix it or tell you how.

I did not call them. I may reach out to them and see what they have to say. I read rave reviews on aqua seal which is why I have it a try. Was for sure not expecting these results.

OP
ddavis_1313
Aquaseal should have fixed it. I'd get a new fresh tube and try it again. Maybe try scuffing up the area you will put the sealant on?

I've used regular Aquaseal to patch waders, packrafts, and other stuff with zero issues and some of them are going on 7 and 8 years of fairly rigorous use.

I may take some sand paper around the affected areas and see if that helps in the bonding and adhesion.

OP
ddavis_1313
This is follow up email 2.

5a27ed4cff99b44c0525d8845427110a.jpg

I will probably order some of the patches and see how they do and report back. I’m assuming this would work on any of their products that have this same external material. I will say that I did have a small tear in one of the Cordura tote bags. I used some loctite shoe glue and it worked like a champ. Haven’t tried it on the waypoint although I may try a small area and see how it does for comparison.

It’s the season to do gear repair. lol

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu steered me to the noso patch when i put a hole in my tent. i'd grab two of the larger ones and put one inside and out. good luck!

OP
ddavis_1313
Update on loctite show glue.

I was able to pick 70% of it off with my fingernail however it wasn’t easy. It stuck way better than the aqua seal.