Paleoish Backcountry Diet

For the past 6 months I have almost completely eliminated processed food and grain from my diet. I eat mostly meat with some fruit, vegetables, nuts, berries, etc. I have had great luck with this diet (I guess its essentially a paleo diet?) but have come to realize that maintaining this for backcountry hunts will be challenging. I’m looking for options to help me not have to alter my diet too much in the backcountry while maintaining a good balance and weight to calorie ratio. I’m looking at mainly heathers choice for dinners, but its the rest of the meals and snacks throughout the day that I’m struggling finding variety. I would rather not just eat nuts all day long. Any advice or product recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bearwhisky
I will add to this that my typical diet in the backcountry has been peak refuels for dinner, homemade granola for breakfast, and copious amounts of power/energy bars throughout the day. The breakfast and power bar alternatives are what I am struggling with. Almost everything I’ve typically ate has some grain or soy in it. Epic bars and Rx bars are on my list to take. What are you guys eating for breakfast and other snacks/lunch throughout the day?

WKR
In my daypack I often just carry nuts and jerky. Sounds like you are probably already including that and looking for some carbs that would be paleo? All I can think of is berries, raisins, etc.

I don’t think raw oats counts as paleo, but mixed with raisins that might be one of the cleaner options.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Next Mile meals are pretty good and are Keto ish. Heathers Choice has a lot of Paleo ish stuff.

Also DIY with a dehydrator or home Freeze dryer. Ive done that a lot.

Titan_Bow

WKR
DIY is the way to go for sure. You can make hearty, minimal ingredient meals that you actually really like eating, then dehydrate them. Also, making homemade “energy” bars is easy and allows you to maintain your no processed foods diet. Ones that I make that I really love are hemp seeds, dates, cashews, almonds, dried cranberries, dark chocolate and a little bit of honey. Just throw all that in a food processor or blender, mash it into packed forms, and vaccuum seal. It’s a ton of healthy calories and the hemp seeds have lots of protein. I also do lots of home made jerky, and I also dehydrate fruit as well.
It’s a bit of work on the front end, but it’s definitely worth it when you are several days into a hunt and not having to worry about upset stomach, low energy or any of the other potential symptoms of not eating a clean and healthy diet.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Try Larabars...they will meet your requirements & are pretty tasty with many options.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

wild Zora has some pretty good paleo dehydrated meals. I also like caveman foods bars in addition to the usual nuts dried fruit and jerky. I haven’t needed to, but if you’re really needing the extra calories you could always add some olive oil to the meals. I also like the packets of cashew and almond butter. Rx has a vanilla flavored almond butter that is a great pick me up or desert. I usually carry a couple individual packets of raw honey for the same reason. You could also buy dehydrated ingredients individually in bulk and build your own meals, I’ve been thinking about picking up some stuff like veggies and meat and doing this but haven’t taken the time. I’ve been eating paleo (probably 80% since I still like beers and eat beans, and occasionally eat things that have an oil or something that isn’t strictly paleo) for about 5 years and couldn’t be happier. Lost 100lbs in the first year and have been able to keep it off, probably been sick twice, bloodwork is great, etc… stick with it, it is well worth it and the inconvenience of not eating out saves a lot of money.

DIY is the way to go for sure. You can make hearty, minimal ingredient meals that you actually really like eating, then dehydrate them. Also, making homemade “energy” bars is easy and allows you to maintain your no processed foods diet. Ones that I make that I really love are hemp seeds, dates, cashews, almonds, dried cranberries, dark chocolate and a little bit of honey. Just throw all that in a food processor or blender, mash it into packed forms, and vaccuum seal. It’s a ton of healthy calories and the hemp seeds have lots of protein. I also do lots of home made jerky, and I also dehydrate fruit as well.
It’s a bit of work on the front end, but it’s definitely worth it when you are several days into a hunt and not having to worry about upset stomach, low energy or any of the other potential symptoms of not eating a clean and healthy diet.

Post some pics that sounds like a killer recipie man!

How long does it realistically last for? I’ve done the PB, honey, bacon sandwiches but never past 5 days. Start to get worried of spoilage past that.
Coming from a different realm (salt cured meats), excluding as they age/last not sealed/bagged or refrigerated, it's more that it dries out (provided fat/grease/lard of itself isn't covering it)

In my mind, cured bacon, cooked, and removed of oily grease/patted dry will go brittle before bad. But 5 lbs would be gone by day 2. Impulse control issues for me.