pack questions

bwlacy

WKR
I have an old camp trails frame pack that I've used for years but not out west. Considering a new pack that will haul 8 days of gear and then condense to a day pack. I don't really want to carry two packs in and the old frame pack is not good to hunt in. I've looked at several online and curious what people recommend for short guys. I'm only 5'8", I don't know my torso length though.

I like the looks of the Horn Hunter full curl system but I see it's not adjustable for torso. I've also been looking at the MR Crewcab.

Any suggestions?

ridgefire

WKR
Bikini or duplex frame with a highcamp 7000 or a t1 or t2 bag. A lot of the guys will probably recommend the emr2 as well.

I used a paradox evolution, 6300 ci bag and day talon extensively last year and was real happy with the way it carried. Check 'em out. Torso is adjustable for a wide range of torso lengths.

1hoda

Banned
MR NICE 7500. I bought my first pack in 1973 and have had a few since - this is the best one yet.

Randle

WKR
The new full curl is adjustable, and for the price is a great option.

Manosteel

WKR
From your brief description of intended use go with a kifaru Bikini or Duplex frame with your choice of Kifaru bag : Timberline 1, High Camp 7000, EMR II or Mountain Warror.

Do a quick search on this site for pack reviews and you will quickly get a good sense of what certain guys use and why and for what type of hunting. kifaru and Stone Glacier top the list for the guys who go deep into the backcountry and come back heavy.

when selecting a pack you have to ask yourself one simple question, when I get a moose or elk down and I'm 5 miles from the trail head "am I packing this animal out on my back or am I calling for a horse packer?" If you get a horse packer, (all the power too you and trust me I have envied every guy whose dose more than once when load down with 140lbs and there are still miles to go), but in that scenario any pack will do. If you are packing animals out, search out the guys on this site that do it year after year and see what they use. It will save you money and pain. This goes for boots too.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
I have looked at all the websites for the packs mentioned above. I really wish there was somewhere around here to go try some on and talk to someone that knows about good packs, Cabelas staff isn't much help. We do plan on packing the meat out ourselves should we be so lucky. May regret that decision and not ever do it again:). I don't mind paying for good gear, just don't want to spend the money and a pack doesn't fit well or do what I need it to.

Thanks for all the replies.

Shrek

WKR
Depending on where you are there is likely Roksliders close who would let you ckeck out their packs but if you talk to Aron at Kifaru or Kurt at SG they will get you set up right and it will fit. The packs are well designed and durable and hold value well so if you decide after one season that this isn't for you then all the money isn't lost. A kifaru EMR II , AMR , or T1 on a Duplex frame is my recommendation. Go big because there is little weight difference between smaller packs and big packs and the big Kifaru packs all compress down well for daypack hunting. Reverse cannot be said for smaller packs streching to fit a large load.

Randle

WKR
Thanks for that info. I'll have to email or call them and get the info. I didn't see that on their website.

Also they have changed the pockets to the outside of the bat wings so you can get gear without undoing the straps , that is one thing I
Don't like on the old model. And the new padding on the frame is more comfortable. Personally if I w er e looking at the full curl starting
Out I would just get the frame and add a dry bag/camp bag that can be dropped at camp and then hunt with just the frame
That is all I use for my style of hunting .

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
Also they have changed the pockets to the outside of the bat wings so you can get gear without undoing the straps , that is one thing I
Don't like on the old model. And the new padding on the frame is more comfortable. Personally if I w er e looking at the full curl starting
Out I would just get the frame and add a dry bag/camp bag that can be dropped at camp and then hunt with just the frame
That is all I use for my style of hunting .

I thought about that. I also thought about the combo with the smaller bag and using the old bag from my camp trails pack or a dry bag. I plan on dropping the bigger bag at spike camp and hunting with the frame or the frame and the small bag. I didn't know if just the frame would hold enough gear for a day hunt.

1hoda

Banned
I have looked at all the websites for the packs mentioned above. I really wish there was somewhere around here to go try some on and talk to someone that knows about good packs, Cabelas staff isn't much help. We do plan on packing the meat out ourselves should we be so lucky. May regret that decision and not ever do it again:). I don't mind paying for good gear, just don't want to spend the money and a pack doesn't fit well or do what I need it to.

Thanks for all the replies.

bwlacy,

The key is getting a pack that fits you. I mentioned abovethe MR is my choice, but it fit me better than the Kifaru or other packs I tried. There are a couple of ways you can get to that point - find some guys near your who will let you try their pack or cough up the dough for the pack plus shipping and handling then just return the ones that won't work, sorting through them until you find what you are looking for. It's just an unfortunate reality of finding a lot of the more specialized gear we tend to use (packs, boots, bags, etc).

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
1hoda thanks. I guess I never thought about ordering them and sending them back. I could test one or two a month that way and still find the right one by summer. I'd have to put some weight in them and give them a good test. Kind of hard to do around here now with lot's of snow on the ground. I may just have to go that route. Also not really sure how a good one is supposed to fit. My old frame I know is too big for me and doesn't have load lifters. I can carry about 50 pounds of treestand stuff, but it isn't very comfy.

1hoda

Banned
Most will only let you return new, unused packs. I just loaded them down with stuff and carried them up and down my stairs. Even with that I was able to figure out the MR fit my short, wide frame better than the Kifaru which seemed too top heavy for my build. I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but that worked for me.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I have a Kifaru Nomad and I can't say enough good about the pack.it will haul as much gear as you can handle and then convert to a day pack.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
I have a Kifaru Nomad and I can't say enough good about the pack.it will haul as much gear as you can handle and then convert to a day pack.

I've looked at that one, the Mystery Ranch Crewcab, and the Horn Hunter full curl system. They all look like they will do everything that I want and need. So the big question will be which one fits me better. Have to decide if I want to shell out a couple grand and try them all on and see which one I like the best.

Kifaru builds the pack fitted to you. when you order you fill out a pretty detailed list, then they build the pack for you after you order. i suggest calling and talking to them during this process if you have questions. Aron @ Kifaru has said that they can fit a pack to anyone.

I've looked at that one, the Mystery Ranch Crewcab, and the Horn Hunter full curl system. They all look like they will do everything that I want and need. So the big question will be which one fits me better. Have to decide if I want to shell out a couple grand and try them all on and see which one I like the best.

Having owned the MR Crew Cab and now run Kifaru & SG. The Crew Cab is not playing the same sport. That pack has virtually no lift (which you need when things gets heavy) and the pack is flat out heavy - that dude has plastic sheets in each side pocket. You are looking at 8 pounds before you start loading the pack. The SG 5100 for example, can be sub 4 pounds during day mode and barely over 4 when you have 5100+ mode. This is just one example. With Kifaru or SG, you have the option to change bags for your needs as they change. The NICE Frame is not as adaptable IMO and again, you don't get the lift when you need it. I hauled a mule deer out of nasty stuff with a CC and said "NEVER AGAIN!"

I am very close to your size with a short torso, and you need not worry about your size when looking at these higher-end packs. They are very adjustable. If I were you, you need to consider your needs now and in the future. Their is a reason 90+% of the guys on this site that have experience are not running the bags you are considering. No disrespect to those companies. Go with experience on this site. It will save you a ton of money and frustration. We have all spent a tone of money tinkering. Leverage that....Is my advice.

Last edited:
The MR crew cab sells a lift kit. Its a must have. With it I totally disagree with above comment that its a horrible pack..its bullet proof. However, a Metcalf from MR is a better pick. Kifaru makes great packs but they are just as heavey as mystery ranch's and that's why both companies have solid gear. The nice frame will allow you to run multiple different packs for extra $$. The Stone Glarcier packs have both kifaru and MR rethinking things...Dana Gleason even bought a SG from schnees so I heard.. I've seen the MRs and Kifarus in the battlefield and the back country. They work and they won't fail..enough said. The SG seem awesome and from what I've seen in use they are awesome.

I'd also wait a few more month . I know MR and some others are supposed to be releasing new designs..

I have no experience with HH...but I have packed several deer and elk with a MR crew cab....lift kit is a must though...otherwise frame is to short. And it does suck.