pack for tender back

forestry

FNG
For the last two years I've been dealing with on and off muscle pain in my lower back (not spinal pain). I have been doing physical therapy and improving my strength in my back, but often my pack is still sensitive and tender right in the lumbar region.

The Deuter child carrier we have has a lumbar pad and is not at all comfortable for me. I recently tried out some HPG packs and actually had a similar experience - their packs focus a lot of the weight on the lower back at it was just too much pressure. I think I need something that either puts everything on the hips or maybe spreads some of the load higher on the back as well.

Or maybe I need something with a better/softer lumbar pad? Not sure where to start.

Just speculation here, but you may try something with a more hugging waist belt vs the large lumbar pad design. A seek pack without the lumbar pad comes to mind.

Like always the general advice is go try on multiple packs with weight and see what does best for you

If I had a really sore back, I'd be taking a hard look at the Initial Ascent and seeing if it helped at all. If not, focusing on the hip belt is great advice.