Pack Capacity Plus Up

Hey all,

I’m hunting a later tag than usual this year and thinking I may need to haul a second quilt in to layer with my EE. Have any of you come up with a good way to plus up pack capacity for something lightweight yet fairly bulky like this? I have a Terraframe 50 for reference.

Thanks for any leads or suggestions!

j3h8

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

I’m hunting a later tag than usual this year and thinking I may need to haul a second quilt in to layer with my EE. Have any of you come up with a good way to plus up pack capacity for something lightweight yet fairly bulky like this? I have a Terraframe 50 for reference.

Thanks for any leads or suggestions!
Dry bag and strap it to the top or bottom of the pack.

j3h8

Lil-Rokslider
You can also take puffy clothing and warmer layers that you probably would bring anyhow if you have them and use those to supplement your sleep system.

Or if you are able, invest in a warmer bag.

I like to use a decker pack from HPG to put my sleep system in. Its a rectangular pack that fits perfectly between the frame and pack.

OP
cowboyarcher
My 50° Apex quilt that I use for layering in cold conditions weighs a mere 12 oz and packs small; small enough that even goes in my daypack when day hunting

50° quilt garners you roughly 20 degrees over your existing bag/quilt
That's not a bad idea, especially because they will click together pretty well. Might have to look into this.

I fight with this. What I’ve come up with is a good sleeping bag liner.

I put my pad in it and the quilt. It keeps everything together. But, it also makes the quilt much warmer.

It really boosts the heat out of your system. It keeps the air warm around your pad. It easily puts 15 degrees on the rating of the system you are using. The bag liners are cheap in comparison to a new quilt too.

My 50° Apex quilt that I use for layering in cold conditions weighs a mere 12 oz and packs small; small enough that even goes in my daypack when day hunting

50° quilt garners you roughly 20 degrees over your existing bag/quilt
I’ve done this too. I’ve got a homemade whoobie I sewed up out of the 3 ounce offering of climasheild. I use it when sitting during the day. However, It makes my 20 degree quilt a 0 degree quilt in my bag liner. My 0 degree quilt becomes a serious cold weather sleeping option when combined with my whoobie.

I truly don’t know why guys don’t use a whoobie more for insulation during the hunt. It has so much value like that. Add in the sleep aspect into its versatility, it’s the cheapest, lightest, and most compact way to add a serious piece of multifunctional gear to their kit.

OP
cowboyarcher
I fight with this. What I’ve come up with is a good sleeping bag liner.

I put my pad in it and the quilt. It keeps everything together. But, it also makes the quilt much warmer.

It really boosts the heat out of your system. It keeps the air warm around your pad. It easily puts 15 degrees on the rating of the system you are using. The bag liners are cheap in comparison to a new quilt too.
That's an interesting idea. Do you have one you recommend?

OP
cowboyarcher
I’ve done this too. I’ve got a homemade whoobie I sewed up out of the 3 ounce offering of climasheild. I use it when sitting during the day. It makes my 20 degree quilt a 0 degree quilt in my bag liner. My 0 degree quilt becomes a serious cold weather sleeping option when combined with my whoobie.

I truly don’t know why guys don’t use a whoobie more for insulation during the hunt. It has so much value like that. Add in the sleep aspect into its versatility, it’s the cheapest, lightest, and most compact way to add a serious piece of multifunctional gear to their kit.
I do think the hooded woobie concept has some merit as well.

That's an interesting idea. Do you have one you recommend?
I’ve been using a Ozark trail from Walmart. It’s been great. But, when I first thought of this I was doing some research on primo brands. But, didn’t want to drop the coin on expensive ones until I was certain it worked. So, I bought the cheapo. It’s worked so good I never upgraded.

If I remember correctly, I was settled on a Big Agnes bag liner before I realized I don’t need it.

However, I’ve come to determine an over sized or stretchy bag liner suits the heavier quilts much better. My guess is It allows them to maintain enough loft to still produce the heat the quilt should produce.

Definitely go bigger versus smaller on the bag liner. With a good pad, the wasted air space in the liner still gets toasty warm.

I do think the hooded woobie concept has some merit as well.
I use the my whoobie, big Agnes pad, and the cheapo liner and easily take it 30 degrees. Its really sized down needed pack space.

I’m packed right now for another two night backpacking/scouting trip with the family. I am once again carrying breakfast for 7 for both mornings. Supper for 7 for 2 nights. My lunches and snacks. Two stoves. Two big fuel bottles, a 10 liter katadyan camp filter, a cooking kit that includes a 10” skillet, my 4 season tarp, my whoobie, bag liner, a large Kifaru pullout of everything camp might need, my personal camp bag, etc…. Anyways, It all neatly fits into a DT3. With nothing in the side pockets.

It’s only supposed to get down to the low 40’s. But, if not for the whoobie, I’d have to carry my 20 degree quilt like I did last weekend. Which would ensure I’d need my DT2.

If you are familiar with these bags you can get a good idea how much space this saves. There’s roughly 2000 ci difference. I did trim down the luxuries I carried for the grandkids as well last trip. So, the savings obviously weren’t all due to the whoobie versus the quilt. But, my pack weight is 26.4 lbs with a liter of water. That’s awesome compared to 51 last weekend. A bigger bag means you carry more crap for the kids and wife.

FWIW, my “whoobie is really nothing more then an apex blanket like my. warden uses. It doesn’t have a hood. It’s not needed unless you don’t carry a beanie.