Pac Boots vs Other for warmth?

Jakerex

WKR
Which is warmer, a pac boot or say a 1,000 gram thinsulate boot, like a danner pronghorn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldtrail

WKR
I think the more important question is how you will be using them and how much turnaround time do you have to dry them between uses? I wear insulated boots daily, I've found thinsulate is useless when wet and a pain to dry. I've had thinsulate boots that got fully soaked and it seemed like the insulation was never the same after so I pitched them.

I get a good pack boot & rotate liners every other day so I've got dry insulation when I put them on. Get a wool liner and if your foot gets soaked you'll be miserable, but not getting a foot amputated miserable. If you are looking for warm feet it's hard to beat good quality pacs.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is pac boots. But they are a pain to hike in. I also put insoles in my pack boots to give extra insulation on the bottom.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I think the more important question is how you will be using them and how much turnaround time do you have to dry them between uses? I wear insulated boots daily, I've found thinsulate is useless when wet and a pain to dry. I've had thinsulate boots that got fully soaked and it seemed like the insulation was never the same after so I pitched them.

I get a good pack boot & rotate liners every other day so I've got dry insulation when I put them on. Get a wool liner and if your foot gets soaked you'll be miserable, but not getting a foot amputated miserable. If you are looking for warm feet it's hard to beat good quality pacs.

Mostly for walking to a tree stand and back. Not too far.

Just wondering which is warmer.

2ski

WKR
I have a pair of cabelas boots from probably 15 years ago, that are either 800 or 1000 grams of thinsolate. I got them big at the time so I could out a thicker sock in them. Way to hot to hike in most applications. I do still use them for ice fishing and my feet stay warm standing on the ice.

I wouldn't do Danner Pronghorns. There's a lot of bad reviews. Kenetrek pack boots is the way I'd go if it was me.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I have a pair of cabelas boots from probably 15 years ago, that are either 800 or 1000 grams of thinsolate. I got them big at the time so I could out a thicker sock in them. Way to hot to hike in most applications. I do still use them for ice fishing and my feet stay warm standing on the ice.

I wouldn't do Danner Pronghorns. There's a lot of bad reviews. Kenetrek pack boots is the way I'd go if it was me.

Would a pac boot be easier to walk in than a 1000 gram leather boot?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used to hike 10+ miles every day wearing my Sorel pacs while elk hunting when I hunted later rifle seasons. They don't provide the same kind of ankle support but I find them to be very comfortable. I've used 800gm Thinsulate boots for September bow hunts and they weren't too hot for my feet. But I would never consider wearing my Pacs in September.

2ski

WKR

I would say no but that depends on what you're walking in/on. If its snow, I'd rather have the pack boots. If it had any steep elevation I'd rather have a leather boot.

Big Ern

WKR
Pac boots are quite warm. I wear Schnees and can easily hike 6-8 miles a day chasing mule deer or elk in later season when there is snow on the ground. The ability to swap liners each night is great in case they get wet.

Storman

FNG
Which is warmer, a pac boot or say a 1,000 gram thinsulate boot, like a danner pronghorn?

Guess it depends how cold of weather will you be in? Personally my feet sweat really easy so regardless my feet will get cold. Pack boots are really bulky so If you have sweat issues I would go with a 400 gram and use merino socks in whatever thickness to help with cold weather.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
So, thinking about this some more and looking at different pac boots. Most pac boots come with 400 or 600 gram thinsulate liners, so how could they be warmer than a 1000 gram thinsulate leather boot?

I’d imagine the felt liners are warmer than the thinsulate, maybe not? Advantage felt if they get wet?

To answer the question asked about my question, these are usually used for archery hunting in urban areas in western PA where I’m in stand within five minutes of leaving the truck. Sweat is no issue.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered Arctic Shield boot blankets? They are the only thing that keeps my feet warm in a stand. I put them over uninsulated hiking boots.

my experience with pack boots... hiking any hilly rocky stuff i tend to stub into crap and get so much forward momentum i go over the falls too often. its like i cant feel my way through stuff like when im using leather hikers. when using pacs i feel like im in moon boots. short distance and smooth terraine is o.k. but any lumpy ground can be dangerous and wouldnt recommend it. fresh socks and hand warmers shoved inside a boot helps.i have boot blankets too but there still in the bag. might try them this late archery season.

elkguide

WKR
Stand sitting/hunting I definitely favor a pack boot.
For hiking I go with a 1000 or 1200 gram insulated boot.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hoffman pac boots have a model with add insulation built into the boot to go along with liner and as pacs go they are not too clumbery

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer pac boots with felt liners. Good quality pacs such as Hoffman's with aggressive tread and steel shank are much more comfortable, stable, and supportive than cheaper pacs.

Coldtrail

WKR
I've always found the pacs much warmer, good pac boots sized properly you can still fit custom orthotics in for hiking comfort if that is what floats your stick. Schnees & hoffmans are an entirely different boot than the knock offs, I wouldnt touch Sorels these days after having a pair of Mavericks "wool" liners freeze solid and weigh 20lbs a piece after an unexpected ice plunge. People saying you cant hike in a pair of Schnees Hunters or some of the Hoffmans are wrong and prob fortunate enough to not have to be out in extreme weather. I have tried them all, really hard to beat leather and wool or Thinsulate/wool liners if you are in them most of a day, every day. There is a reason that boot dryers became popular around the same time Thinsulate boots were flooding the market, Thinsulate hiking/hunting boots have their place, but require a level of proper maintenance to keep insulating, using pacs and throwing extra liners in your pack or truck is pretty easy and gives you dry boots in a few minutes.