PA GUYS New State Forest camping rules ( not good)

Looks like the good old days are gone. As of Nov. 3 dispersed road side style camping will only be allowed in designated numbered sights with an online reservation system and a fee of $10 pernight and a reservation fee of $6.50. As of now some districts don't even have numbered sights so they will be pick some spots to add.

I don't know about others but this is a real kick in the nuts for my lifestyle. If anyone has any suggestions speak up now. I contacted my state rep month ago when this wad a rumor and he just kicked the can down the road.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a link by any chance? Curious as to how this effects those backpacking and setting up off trail. We have a hunt coming up that week in state forests and will be camping during that time frame.

2531usmc

WKR
I just wonder if the problems with homeless camps are driving this?

I think there is a universal understanding that hiking, camping, and outdoor activities are a positive thing, but these homeless camps bring crime and drugs and destroy everything they touch.

i just got back from hicks,they told me this was coming,i was told people would reserve a site for a week,then not show up. i sure so that when i was there,empty camp sites at night and when you look online they were all booked

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
My experience in the northern state gamelanfs and state forest is that no one really messes with you. Even tho it is technically against the rules I think you can still stay and sleep wherever under the radar

OP
C
My experience in the northern state gamelanfs and state forest is that no one really messes with you. Even tho it is technically against the rules I think you can still stay and sleep wherever under the radar
Yeah lots do it but my fear is with this clearly being a money grab they may be pressured to crack down. That and many of the older Rangers are coming into retirement age.

OP
C
I
Do you have a link by any chance? Curious as to how this effects those backpacking and setting up off trail. We have a hunt coming up that week in state forests and will be camping during that time frame.
Have the info in an email they sent out but not sure how to paste it here. You can still backpack camp without a permit so long as you move everyday.

OP
C
I just wonder if the problems with homeless camps are driving this?

I think there is a universal understanding that hiking, camping, and outdoor activities are a positive thing, but these homeless camps bring crime and drugs and destroy everything they touch.
It's clearly a money grab. I spend every weekend in the state forest somewhere and some large areas void of people most of the time. It's being blamed on increased use and demand since Covid.

RS3579

WKR
Does this effect the state game lands or just state forest land? What WMU are you in?

OP
C
Camping has never been permitted on Gamelands. This is just State Forest. My two most used areas are 3B and 2G.

Last edited:

RS3579

WKR
Look to see if Collins Pines owns any area near your hunting areas. They allow camping overnight. Privately owned land open to the public. Office is in Kane PA.

dtrkyman

WKR
It does sound bad, however who is going to inforce it? I "stealth" camp all over the country, many times right down the road from official camp sites, have never been bothered.

Definitely more folks doing the same so who knows what will come of it?