Over bags - school me.

Who likes and uses over bags on the regular? What do you use? Pros? Cons?

i have on occasion but got away from them. Got a trip this fall where temps may vary quite a bit that has me thinking about trying the concept again.

rayporter

WKR
i have used a mantle over my bag to boost the rating. i would not want to carry 2 separate bags. if you try a mantle make sure it drapes over the sides and foot box and add some velcro so it wont slide off. it only take a few small pieces of velcro.

WRM

WKR
EE down quilt (20) with a MLD Apex (32). Let's you get way down temp wise and pushes condensation point out into the synthetic layer. Money when it's cold.

wackem36

FNG
I have been looking at wiggys ftrss bag line. not lightwight but I have read some good things. made in the USA too.

*zap*

WKR
I have a wiggys overbag, super light and ultra light.....pretty good system overall and it covers the temp ranges I encounter...that said i also have a wm kodiak and versalite.

wackem36

FNG
I have a wiggys overbag, super light and ultra light.....pretty good system overall and it covers the temp ranges I encounter...that said i also have a wm kodiak and versalite.
do you use the 2 core bags together or one of there overbags?

*zap*

WKR
I use the overbag with one of the core bags...no way to zip together the two core bags. The core bags zip inside the overbag or I can use any of the 3 on its own....

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a quilt layering temperature chart from Enlightened Equipment. In theory it is better to layer a synthetic quilt over down as it will pull the moisture to the synthetic layer. Even though the title says sub-zero the chart even shows what temperature rating two 50 degree quilts become