Outdoorsman Tripod for shooting

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a complete Outdoorsman tripod set up with a pan head and plates on all my optics. To say I’m investing in the system is an understatement. I have done some limited shooting with a Bogg saddle mount on the pan head and it seemed ok. Is there a preferred system for shooting off an Outdoorman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dschwan

WKR
I have no problem shooting my 300WM off of my panhead using the salmon river dovetail adapter. As I'm sure you have noticed that it can be cumbersome to get the rifle squared up on a shot that is on a canted angle that a ballhead would be much easier.

I’ll let ya know after this weekend.

Finally got the outdoorsman rail on my rifle and will see how it goes.

I have the saddle too that I haven’t tried, but will be trying that out as well

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How far are you shooting off the tripod? Saddles, uggh no way.

It is easier to toss a shooting bag like the (Mini Tacky that I make) over the tripod head and shoot off that.

If you don’t have a ball head, getting set up with the rifle locked into a rail is very inefficient for a fist shot, but a little easier for a follow up shot on an animal that moves.

If a guy is shooting 600 and in, the usefulness of locking into the tripod gives diminishing returns over a bag on a tripod. Guys in NRL Hunter are deadly off a bag on a tripod out to 600, with practice and skill.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
At my current ability I do not foresee any shots exceeding 600 yards. My only true long range opportunity for now come on west KS rifle deer hunts.

slowelk

WKR
As suggested by others, I wouldn't shoot hooked into a pan head. I have the new outdoorsmans carbon tripod and the wiser precision nighthawk pan head that I throw the armageddon gear pint-sized game changer over. I am comfortable with that platform to around 300 yards in the field.

Fight for prone!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
At my current ability I do not foresee any shots exceeding 600 yards. My only true long range opportunity for now come on west KS rifle deer hunts.

I think you can comfortably learn to shoot off of a tripod and bag inside 600 if you focus on the fundamentals.