Opinions on:

amp713

WKR
Hey guys so I have a badlands ox but have decided I'm gonna switch out... (If you are looking to buy an ox let me know!) but I want some input on packs you have used....

I want to be bivy hunting next year. This year I did stay in the back country a little but my preseason scouting didnt find me near what I was finding in my closer small honey holes but they got over ran again this year. I want a pack set up for about 6 day minimum backcountry trips....

Things I loved about my ox: perfect place for tripod and spotting scope, lots of room, very adaptable, very easy to access and had enough small compartments to keep things separated. Could be used as just a frame for packing out animals/sheds, hip pockets.

Things I didn't like: it was heavy empty and when I'm trying to cut weight that didnt help, it was a little noisy, the belt didnt cinch down enough for my skinny little self, wasnt capable of being used as just a day pack (it was big and stocky and thanks to the hard frame it stayed that way), not really well ventilated.

I was looking towards maybe the Sitka bivy 30 or the badlands sacrifice? I'd looked at the 2800 before buying my ox but now think that it is a little on the small side for all the stuff I like to pack around.... I'm kinda out of the back pack loop though.... I decided I wanted a new one while hunting the last 12 days and just got home haha

Shrek

WKR
A Kifaru Bikini and Timberline 1 bag is what you want. You are not going to get many recommendations for heavy , cheaply made in China , big box retail brand packs here. Hang out a while and read all the pack threads and you will find more information than you could ever wish for.

If you are looking to stay within the price range of the Badlands I personally would go with the Eberlestock Just 1 system. Expandable for packing in your camp and compresses nicely for day use mode. If cost is no obstacle then Kifaru would definitely be my choice. I went on a 4 day pack in hunt a couple of weeks ago with my oldest daughters boyfriend, I loaned him my old Ox pack and I wore my Kifaru Bikini with a DT bag. While we are both in excellent shape he is younger and stronger, both our packs weighed about the same. By the time we reached tree line he was spending as much time hunched over his poles as he did walking, his shoulders were burning and his lower back was sore while I was good to go, no hot spots or pain. My long winded point is if you are going to use it consistently a high end pack is worth the investment.

mfolch

WKR
"My long winded point is if you are going to use it consistently a high end pack is worth the investment." Agreed. For the last few years I've been using a variety of $300-ish packs. After tearing through them (they seem not to last more than two seasons before seams start to bust) and never finding a versatile system, I upgraded to a BT1. Also thought seriously about Stone Glacier. We hike out and set up a base camp, day-hunt from there for 10 days. A hunting partner of mine spent a one-week scouting trip last year using an Eberlestock Just 1 and ended up dropping it for his lightweight Gregory during the actual hunting season. Didn't like the way the pack carries its contents far from the torso when the rifle holster is attached. This year he's upgraded to a BT1. I find the BT1 too bulky for the kind of day-hunting we're doing - NE mountains: dense brush, not much view, lots of sneaking through brambles and thick tree cover - but for durability and packing in and out it's worth the extra cost. For day-hunting, I might end up packing in an ultra-light daypack or switching out the DT1 pack for a DT3. Some guys on this forum use the Bikini frame with a large dry bag, and I'm experimenting with that this year too. A note on fit: I'm 6'1 with an 18 inch torso and 30 inch waist. This usually puts me at the lower end of a large frame for torso and shoulders, and small on the waist belt. Prior to receiving the BT1 with 26 inch stays, I had never been able to find bags that cinch down well and still have usable load-lifters. Best of luck.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
What kind of price are we talking on one of those set ups??? I'd really like to aim for 500 or under:....

Shrek

WKR
Bikini frame and Timberline 1 bag would run $376 for the frame and $371 for the bag and longhunter lid. There is nothing cheap about Kifaru but it's a good value. It will last through years of hard use and if in good shape it holds its value. Unless you are not hunting until late November a Kifaru is out of the picture for this year. 8 to 10 weeks wait for a new Bikini right now. For a decent value pack you might look at a horn hunter full curl. I'm not sure what the Stone Glacier runs.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Kifaru all the way. You wont regret the decision and it will last you many many hunts. Also Stone Glacier is another alternative or a Barney's. Bit heavier on Barneys but people rave about the packs.

They are catching up, it's 6 weeks as of now. I ordered mine 2 days ago( t2, bikini frame, hunting lid) expected ship date 10-24

Shrek

WKR
That is good to hear that they are getting back to a more normal lead time. It has been crazy since the Bikini was introduced.

Yes it will shrek. I have a pretty big window since I'm going solo and only 4 1/2 hours from home. I'm going to wait on it to come before I go! I shouldn't have to postpone over two weeks, I can live with that.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Might be worth looking at the Stone Glacier Solo. It's 3000 or so CIs and you'll have the option to use the meat shelf...believe you can get into one for around $509. I've got the larger terminus and smaller approach but I think you'll be please. Below is the SG Terminus with two caribou qtrs and some loose meat.

Cheers!

ATTACH=CONFIG]10253[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have used the SG Solo and the Bikini Highcamp 4800. Both are good packs, but if you get the Solo make sure you really are a minimalist. It is exactly that.

Wrongside

WKR
It would be a lot easier to meet your budget, if you're not stuck on camo or having a 'hunting' pack. Look for an Arcteryx Bora80. Older ones, made in NA, can be had in next to mint condition, for a steal. Great pack for the dollar.

Another option, if you really want new, would be those new Paradox Packs. They look promising and are pretty light. It can be used like an external frame or can be configured a bunch of ways. They have models that would meet your budget, depending on configuration.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Ha I'm not against a non hunting pack as long as it isn't glow in the dark neon green!! But ya idk if I could do the bikini set up as I have rechecked my budget and 500 is about the max I could go and that's pushin it.....

colonel00

WKR
If you are willing to drop $500 then I would say to wait until you have enough for a Kifaru. Sell off some old gear you don't use. Start a fund for the holidays and suggest money towards the pack. Besides, if it isn't on order now, you probably won't get it for 6-8 weeks so you can really ride out this season and order once you have the funds. I am in the same boat and patiently waiting until I can pull the trigger on a bikini and highcamp bag.