Opinions on tree stand etiquette

I'm new to hunting so go easy on me :) I'm trying to figure this stuff out and don't have any friends that hunt.

I went to go scout a small area for deer. I spoke to land owners around this area and they told me there were 3 tree stands nearby but did not think they were in use.

The area is very thick and while scouting found deer highways and these stands were in very ideal locations... Pretty much the only locations in this small area of land.

They look old... But what doesn't when you leave it in the woods.

I didn't see any game cameras and no signs of disturbed vegetation by hunters.

I have a climber and a ladder stand and would like to hunt this area as it's the the most active that I know of.

What would you do?
I would feel very strange using someone else's stand...though the notion that someone set these up and left them there over the years isn't out of the question. It's very difficult to get in there.

I'm thinking of writing a note and attaching to the stands asking them to call/text me. If I get a call I know to move on to a different area. If I don't get a call then I assume I can hunt the same area?

Thoughts?

Apologies in advance for the noobie questions.

OP
U
Sorry yes this is public land.

Thanks for the advice and for not roasting me.

I will hunt it with a climber or set up my ownadder stand.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Please more than anything don’t trust your safety to someone’s else’s equipment!!!!!! Those straps on the stand could have been thier for years, under stress, rotten etc and need to be treated as such. Had a friend take a nose dive 20 ft. Two weeks ago “testing” a treestand he hung 5 years earlier and it gave way on him he’s lucky to be alive

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Never really agreed with guys leaving stuff in a public area because of the territorial nature of saving a spot on a public place but it is what it is. Many states require you to attach so sort of id on the stands you might be able to get info about the owners thier

EdP

WKR
I hunt public and do not worry about other people's stands or cameras etc, providing I found deer sign in the area myself. Everyone has the same right to the area and hanging a stand or cameras doesn't reserve it for anyone. I won't use the other guy's gear though. If I am there first I am going to hunt it. If the other guy is there first I'm going to go elsewhere that day and expect him to do the same.

Most states have laws that stands must be removed after the hunting season. If these look unused, you could have the local warden take a look. It might be a good opportunity to make contact with them. The warden is often a wealth of information and it's a good idea to develop a rapport before you find yourself in a sketchy situation.

I.E: deer dies across the property line, etc.
It's good if he doesn't think you're a shithead.

Macintosh

WKR
if it is an illegally left-behind treestand, many states have laws saying that you cannot hunt from that stand--likelihood of getting busted for this is low, but just know that if its not a legal stand you are likely not legal hunting out of it.

I like to hang a medium-sized dead branch from the steps or ladder of stands I suspect are abandoned--as if it had fallen out of the tree and landed there. It doesnt prevent the owner from using it, but put it in a way so that in order to get into the stand it has to be removed. This way if you go back by it and that branch is still there, you know it hasnt been used, furtherconfirmation of abandonment and easier on my mind for hunting that area.

Never really agreed with guys leaving stuff in a public area because of the territorial nature of saving a spot on a public place but it is what it is. Many states require you to attach so sort of id on the stands you might be able to get info about the owners thier
💯, Was on a nice heavily (deer) traveled area this season and some guy comes in and sets up cameras everywhere. Thumbs 👎

I would hunt it out of my own stand. I would never use a stand that wasn't my own. You may not know who's stand it is but you know its not yours. Public land so I would hunt it until I ran into someone.

LostArra

WKR
I'm thinking of writing a note and attaching to the stands asking them to call/text me. If I get a call I know to move on to a different area. If I don't get a call then I assume I can hunt the same area?
There is no guarantee the guy who contacts you actually owns the stand.

Take your climber and hunt.

I would not set a ladder stand on public ground. If you value the ladder stand save it for private ground. Use your climber and pack it in and out each time. I would not use the stands left by someone else.

Agree with the others. Never hunt from someone else's stand. If you pack in and get there first with your climber, no issues. However, don't be surprised in you see a headlamp come bopping down the trail right at day break (or later) to ruin your hunt. Depending on area, probably worth the gamble.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Like others have mentioned, more of a safety issue than anything.
I've had my own stands fail after being left out for a year.

Seuss

FNG
Wouldn’t trust someone else’s stand, if it’s public land I’d hunt away, get there early and hit anyone walking in after w your hand torch. 1st day of black powder this year I was hunting public land approx 100 yards off our lease, a guy came in scouting (!!!), walking around in circles looking at the gps on his phone. When he got close enough I quietly whistled, he responded by walking over and talking to me……

JjamesIII

WKR
I'm new to hunting so go easy on me :) I'm trying to figure this stuff out and don't have any friends that hunt.

I went to go scout a small area for deer. I spoke to land owners around this area and they told me there were 3 tree stands nearby but did not think they were in use.

The area is very thick and while scouting found deer highways and these stands were in very ideal locations... Pretty much the only locations in this small area of land.

They look old... But what doesn't when you leave it in the woods.

I didn't see any game cameras and no signs of disturbed vegetation by hunters.

I have a climber and a ladder stand and would like to hunt this area as it's the the most active that I know of.

What would you do?
I would feel very strange using someone else's stand...though the notion that someone set these up and left them there over the years isn't out of the question. It's very difficult to get in there.

Thoughts?

Apologies in advance for the noobie questions.
Hunt it! A lot of jag-offs try to claim “their spot” on public by intentionally leaving stands in place. Screw them, if you wake up earlier and get in- they need to find an alternative spot, regardless of cameras or stands being permanently stationed. Many times the slobs neglect to clean up the mess after the season. Just one of the many reasons why Ohio public land hunts are so bad.