Opinions on my pack list

keep

Lil-Rokslider
Would some of you experienced backcountry hunters take a look at my list and see what you would cut or add? This list is EVERYTHING I will be taking up the mountain on my goat hunt this Aug in BC, including what I'll be wearing. This will be my first extended bivy so it's new to me and I have been going over and over my list.
I may leave the recurve (backup bow)at the cabin. The guide is taking the tent and food although I'll tell him I would prefer to carry my own food.
What would you guys change, add, delete?
The highlighted items I either need to still get or am debating about taking.

Attachments

• Mt Goat PDF list jpeg.jpg
    Mt Goat PDF list jpeg.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Mt Goat PDF list jpeg (2).jpg
    Mt Goat PDF list jpeg (2).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
keep

keep

Lil-Rokslider
where in BC? and why august? Just curious. I live here.

Lorne
Bringing the whole family so they can fish and sight see while I'm hunting and any later in the year would interfere with school. This was initially billed as a "family vacation" but "Oh honey look they also have a goat hunt, what do you know".

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Keep,

Bryan Martin is one of our contributors and he owns a guiding operation in BC (Asian Canadian Mountain Outfitters).

I would shoot him a PM for sure. He's been doing this a long time and could cut down your learning curve.

Curtis C

WKR
I have never hunted BC or Goats so I could be way off here.

I like the way your going over your gear and building pack list to work from.

Are you taking 2 steel bottles and a nalgene? I'd loose at least one of those. If you prefer to drinking from steel I would repack the FA kit in a light stuff sack and loose the nalgene. Have you tried your sleeping bag at 20°? if not you should try to catch a cold night and give it a test run. If you get an opportunity to upgrade an item that would be the place to do it.

You also have about 10lbs of clothing which is kinda heavy. If you need it all to stay comfy then definitely take it, but you have some time to play with your layers to see if you could eliminate some. Try your clothing in the temps you expect to hunt in and see if they are comfy. So if you need the core layer and mid layer to be comfy in the ascent pants you would likely be just as comfy with the core alone and the 90% pant. I like the 90% pants so I would see if I could lose the mid-layer bottoms and ascent pants. You might even find you could eliminate one of your upper body garments. Just spend a little time now trying different arrangements before you throw all those clothes in your pack.

C

G Posik

WKR
Jim,
Are you taking an extra release? Just asking if you are going that far and drop one...... DO NOT ASK ME why I used to always carry a spare. Do not need one now shooting longbows so just a good glove is all that is needed. Other than that the list looks really good. Like aron said get with your guide and he will let you know what you really need. I went on a trip in Saskatchewan a few years back thought I had a good list, talked with the outfitter and had to swap a few things out. Glad I listened to him.

Glenn

OP
keep

keep

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Keep,

Bryan Martin is one of our contributors and he owns a guiding operation in BC (Asian Canadian Mountain Outfitters).

I would shoot him a PM for sure. He's been doing this a long time and could cut down your learning curve.
I will thanks. I'm heading to Babine and Jack has looked over my list and said it's good but I think I'm too heavy.

I have never hunted BC or Goats so I could be way off here.

I like the way your going over your gear and building pack list to work from.

Are you taking 2 steel bottles and a nalgene? I'd loose at least one of those. If you prefer to drinking from steel I would repack the FA kit in a light stuff sack and loose the nalgene. Have you tried your sleeping bag at 20°? if not you should try to catch a cold night and give it a test run. If you get an opportunity to upgrade an item that would be the place to do it.

You also have about 10lbs of clothing which is kinda heavy. If you need it all to stay comfy then definitely take it, but you have some time to play with your layers to see if you could eliminate some. Try your clothing in the temps you expect to hunt in and see if they are comfy. So if you need the core layer and mid layer to be comfy in the ascent pants you would likely be just as comfy with the core alone and the 90% pant. I like the 90% pants so I would see if I could lose the mid-layer bottoms and ascent pants. You might even find you could eliminate one of your upper body garments. Just spend a little time now trying different arrangements before you throw all those clothes in your pack.

C
C
The 2 steel bottles weigh about .5oz less than the nalgene, go figure. I was trying to use the nalgene as a 1st aid kit but my rethink that and lose a bottle, I believe you're right.
The clothing has been killing me to figure out. I layer a bunch and could probably lose the Jetstream jacket assuming I kept the layers. Possibly get rid of the ascent or the 90% but not sure which. The weather around that time is supposed to be warm. I saw someone else mention using rain gear as a wind break layer so that may work.
I tried the sleeping bag in 28* and it was warm enough with my mid layers on and a tuuk. I wouldn't have wanted it much colder though, woke up and there was frost on the inside of the tent.
Thank you for your input
Jim
Jim,
Are you taking an extra release? Just asking if you are going that far and drop one...... DO NOT ASK ME why I used to always carry a spare. Do not need one now shooting longbows so just a good glove is all that is needed. Other than that the list looks really good. Like aron said get with your guide and he will let you know what you really need. I went on a trip in Saskatchewan a few years back thought I had a good list, talked with the outfitter and had to swap a few things out. Glad I listened to him.

Glenn
Glenn
I do have an extra release in the bow tool kit which may be paired back a bit.