Opening Day Shenanigans.

Daniel_M

Well Known Rokslider
You say shenanigans one more time..,,

Just got the call to grab my knife and pack. My buddy Jesse closed out another opening day archery bull.

uhu5upas.jpg

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

Well Known Rokslider
How about a Live pack out? It's 2:53am. Just got to the moose. Sweating my ass off. Rockin Kryptek and Simms waders.

Raining. Probly get it into bags and take a siesta!
a8esu8ad.jpg

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

Well Known Rokslider
9 hours later home sweet home. New Kryptek was the cats ass. Weather conditions sucked.

Feedback to come after a shower, nap and a beer.

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

Well Known Rokslider
I was told it would be an easy pack, well that's a relative statement for a 20 year infantry vet. Jesse was fulla shit.

Never believe an infantryman when he said its an easy pack!

We were several miles in off the 4wheelers then in on foot. It wasn't the distance that was brutal, but the terrain. We were at elevation with fog and rain, steady sprinkle all night.

Buddy shot this moose across a gorge so we had to hike down to a creek then back up, but reverse that with what had to be a 130# packs.

Wet, sloppy vegetation. Waist high grass with uneven terrain, and low ground scrub brush.

I'm thankful he shot a small moose. I managed a front/rear quarter, brisket and scraps.

Once we got to the moose, had it quartered and bagged in 90 minutes working quick. 2 hours to pack. Back at the trucks at 8.

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

Well Known Rokslider
Mountainside siesta.
View attachment 9642

Gear of choice:
Kryptek merino top/bottom
Valhalla Pant
Kratos Puffy
Koldo Rain Jacket
Simms Waders

Kryptek was legit. Comfy, range of motion was solid all around. The Koldo was my savior for sure, it rained all night but I stayed dry. August/September hunting is generally a wet time period. I wanted light weight rain gear but opted for more durable because of the terrain and packing we do. My base layers were pretty well soaked after packing for over 2 hours in some nasty wet terrain, but my merino top was pretty much dry in 2 hours even with a jacket on, minus the wrists from vegetation.

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

Well Known Rokslider
I know a lot of you guys are all about light weight kit, but these Cutco knives are just wicked in the field.

8atena4e.jpg

colonel00

Well Known Rokslider
Good fun. Someday I need to get up there to get a moose. I agree on cutco and I have been eyeing the gut hook hunting knife with the DD blade. I just need to find a dealer.

cwh

Well Known Rokslider
Congrats to your buddy...and to you. 90 minute work-up is pretty good for two guys.

Packing moose is so much more fun after its over.

cwh

Well Known Rokslider
What's that place you like with all the goofy shit on the walls, and the mozzarella sticks?

colonel00

Well Known Rokslider
[video=youtube;MFZG8KQJni8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZG8KQJni8[/video]