ONX woes

I've been a longtime ONX user, pretty much since it first came out. I had one problem a few years back, called customer service and was back using it in a matter of minutes. This weekend I was out of town and wanted to use ONX to find an address, opened the app, and a message popped up for an update. I clicked "update", and waited for the update to finish. It took longer than normal for it to complete, and when I went to re-open the app it wouldn't go past the red screen. I tried a bunch of times, but no luck. I finally closed out, uninstalled ONX, and re-installed it. Logged back in, but it won't let me use any of the features I've paid for. Payment is up to date...next one isn't due till July. I'm not logged into any other accounts or anything like that. I'd like to call them directly and talk to a human, but they don't even list a number other than a text/sms number. Anyone know how to fix this problem, or should I just cancel my subscription and get BaseMap? I've been wanting to try it anyway.

Sled

WKR
I've been able to talk directly to them. I'll look up the number.

I use both Onx and Basemap, it seems like at this point youre splitting hairs on which is better. If you prefer a feature on 1, theyll eventually change it to look like the other. The latest Onx update makes 'compass mode' look and function nearly identical to basemaps. I preferred onx's prior compass mode where the 'you' dot is centered on the screen with a cone pointing in the direction of the top of your phone. I found it useful for that to be centered so you can get a better idea in front and behind you. Now, its at the absolute bottom of the screen and you cant see anything 'behind' you.

Another issue is when you arent in compass mode on basemap, theres a small arrow on the 'you' dot to show orientation, with onx is just a circle that doesnt offer any reference to orientation. If Onx isnt going to give you the option to use compass mode the way it was before this update, they need to add a orientation arrow to the non compass mode dot.

Basemaps line distance is still better as it show a live measurement after your first pin drop. With Onx, sure you can use the 2 finger measurement now, but it seems an easy update to make the line 'live' after the first pin drop.

dtrkyman

WKR
Their customer service is excellent, only issue I have had was a problem with my old laptop not wanting to run it, they helped me out even though they were not the issue.

I always call them with any questions!

bsnedeker

WKR
I use both Onx and Basemap, it seems like at this point youre splitting hairs on which is better. If you prefer a feature on 1, theyll eventually change it to look like the other. The latest Onx update makes 'compass mode' look and function nearly identical to basemaps. I preferred onx's prior compass mode where the 'you' dot is centered on the screen with a cone pointing in the direction of the top of your phone. I found it useful for that to be centered so you can get a better idea in front and behind you. Now, its at the absolute bottom of the screen and you cant see anything 'behind' you.

I just put my ONX into compass mode and my dot is right in the center of the screen as it's always been? Maybe that update hasn't made it to android yet?

Regardless: Compass mode is for soccer moms and communists. North up is the only way to go!

Jethro

WKR
Last night onx updated to version 23.7 on my iPhone. So i now have the compass mode changes. Haven’t played with it enough to form an opinion.
AE083341-9C9D-47D8-AEDE-34B860F4A292.jpeg

pcrossett

FNG
If you haven't already definitely reach out to them and let them know what is going on. Working in tech support I enjoy getting those phone calls so I can help people out and you may not be the only person having this issue that needs it resolve. Can't fix something if you don't know that it is broken.

WoodBow

WKR
While we are on the topic, anybody know why i don't have the + and - for zoom in and zoom out on my desktop? I'm on a PC. I can zoom in my double clicking, but I have no way to zoom out. The buttons to click simply do not exist on my screen.

Untamed

Lil-Rokslider
I hate the new compass mode. I wish i didnt make the update. I want to be centered to look behind. At least give the option to shut it off.

Reactions: AZ8

wapitibob

WKR
While we are on the topic, anybody know why i don't have the + and - for zoom in and zoom out on my desktop? I'm on a PC. I can zoom in my double clicking, but I have no way to zoom out. The buttons to click simply do not exist on my screen.
I have only a + to zoom, no -, but have always used the mouse wheel

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
In the same boat as other comments. Not a fan of the new compass mode. Really preferred the older version of just having the cone. Feel like the compass and having the dot at the bottom of the screen is not ideal for what I do.

HOT ROD

WKR
I lost my + and - on my zoom to all those new added features are mostly rubbish jmo

dtrkyman

WKR
My pc only shows the plus, but there is a little spot below the plus and I can click it and zoom back out.

dtrkyman

WKR
I hate the new compass mode. I wish i didnt make the update. I want to be centered to look behind. At least give the option to shut it off.
Hit the arrow marker and it will center you back in the middle of the screen.

I just put my ONX into compass mode and my dot is right in the center of the screen as it's always been? Maybe that update hasn't made it to android yet?

Regardless: Compass mode is for soccer moms and communists. North up is the only way to go!
Amen! My hunting partner is always in compass mode and it drives me up the wall lol! I know what direction I'm going north up only....

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk