Ontario Canada Fishing Recommendation

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious if anyone has a recommendation for a Canada summer fishing destination that has a cabin and boat rental. I am looking at Ontario for a drive to destination that has great smallmouth bass fishing and also has potential for good sized pike. The walleye fishing does not matter to me at all. I have been to the Canada side of Rainy Lake, which I enjoyed. I have researched quite a few other options online, but you can't beat an endorsement from fellow outdoorsman. It will be a fishing week for my teenage son and me, so it can range from basic to nicer accommodations. The budget will be average level ...... no Orvis endorsed lodges, lol. Any responses are appreciated whether in this thread or via a pm.

Last edited:
where you driving from? East side of lake of the woods is absolutely full of lodges on both LOW and other lakes. LOW is known for its big pike, and has a 40" minimum limit.

OP
ceejay

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
where you driving from? East side of lake of the woods is absolutely full of lodges on both LOW and other lakes. LOW is known for its big pike, and has a 40" minimum limit.
I would be driving from WV so I could enter Canada at several points including International Falls, Sault St Marie, or Niagra Falls. There are some places on LOW that are high on my list of possibilities.

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
It is hard to beat Rainy Lake. I agree that the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods is awesome (both sides actually). Think Nestor Falls, etc. There is dynamite smallouth fishing in the Atikokan area. I have a family Cabin on Marmion Lake. Depending on your goals research the regulations carefully before you book. We are not allowed to keep trophy pike in the special "Border Waters" around our cabin. More than a few 46+ inch pike would have looked really nice on the cabin wall if the MNR would have allowed it.

If you pass through International Falls, give a honk. I'll probably be stuck in my office.

max-x

FNG
Red Lake and area; the rest of the province does a lot of fishing, but up in Red its mostly catching

OP
ceejay

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
Red Lake and area; the rest of the province does a lot of fishing, but up in Red its mostly catching
Thanks for the advice. It seems that the lakes in this region can be limited to certain specific fish species. If you don't mind elaborating, which lakes specifically have the best smallmouth fishing?

I went to LOW Sabaskong bay area last year and just got back from Eagle Lake. LOW had great musky numbers but poor walleye size and very few pike. Also got into the perch pretty good.

We had much less luck on musky in Eagle but the walleye fishing was much better size wise. Our group caught a bunch in the 24-29 inch range. Good numbers and size of smallmouth. Pike were more common than LOW but still pretty low compared to other lakes.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from Canada with two of my kids, however we entered and exited Canada via canoe. Had great fishing; son got a personal best for both Pike and Smallmouth. Your options are almost endless; but know that too far north and smallmouth peter out. Staying within 100-150 miles of the MN border will keep you in SM territory.

max-x

FNG
Thanks for the advice. It seems that the lakes in this region can be limited to certain specific fish species. If you don't mind elaborating, which lakes specifically have the best smallmouth fishing?

We'll, it's tough to say really. In my experience, most larger lakes (ie greater than 40 min across on plane) have 'everything'. Locals typically don't prioritize smb's though, so it's not really easy to gauge with local experience. It's walleye for food and northern for a fight. When I was guiding, it would be walleye in the mornings getting set for a shore lunch, then afternoons for pike. Some of the others would go for lakers occasionally, but comparatively that was a lot of work. Only time I can remember chasing sm particularly was when everyone got bored of the evening bite and also of hucking suicks for days.

From a practical perspective, north of Kenora, if you're carpet bombing blow downs or shallow rock piles, the odds of connecting with a pike are pretty high, which can lead to the occasional 'tax' getting paid to the lake if you're wary about using a wire leader.