One rifle to do it all

I always thought a 257wby sighted in for mpbr would cover anything I would want to do with a rifle.

I have always been a one primary rifle guy, currently have a.308 I plan on keeping for awhile. Anything 6mm and up I would be perfectly content with. I have never rifle hunted elk personally, but they wouldn’t change my decision… I have seen a lot of elk handily killed with .243 and up
I have 3 go to rifles right now - 280 AI, 6.5 PRC and 6mm CM. If I was forced to pick one to hunt everything from deer to bears to moose, it would be the 6mm.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
If I was buying/building one, I would get a 7 PRC if you handload. Anything from 6.5 PRC-300WSM will be a good do it all rifle that can put various game down at distance.

Look at the higher end Tikka's, Bergara's, and Savages to be well within your budget. If you can stretch, check out Fierce, Springfield Waypoint, Proof Research or even think about building a semi custom.

A Savage 110 Ultralight in 7 PRC with a new stock from your extra budget could be a winner.

Elite

WKR
It doesn't exist. In my mind, the closest would be an ultralight 308. The 300 mags and 30-06 are too powerful for nearly all hunting situations and require a heavier rifle. You end up carrying unnecessary weight, spending extra money, and avoiding range time just because you want a caliber to be able to shoot an elk at 600y. You won't see the benefit of the extra power unless you're putting in a lot of range time, and you won't put in a lot of range time because the ammo is too expensive and your shoulder hates you.

You end up sacrificing accuracy and familiarity with your rifle (which helps you with all shots) for a theoretical benefit in 5% of the shots.
30-06 and 308 are very simmialr in recoil and a LA vs a SA is a matter of 2-3oz in weight....

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
I think the new 7PRC would not be a bad option if your looking that the lighter side of things. Otherwise I’d look hard at a 300PRC. With the ballistics some I’d the bullets these days offer, that 300 is a hammer out to 1000 yards.

Rpolar

FNG
I have had a lot of rifles and different calibers over the last 20 yrs but this year purchased a 308win. I don’t handload and was looking for 280ai ammo which is almost impossible to find. I noticed almost everywhere had 308 ammo so I solved my problem by buying a 308. Very versatile with bullets ranging from 110 to 180gr and if you handload you could really dial it in.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having my first semi custom built as my new do it all rifle after trying many off the factory options. A M70 .270 win with a 1-8 twist barrel standard contour, bansner stock, lengthed magazine for long high bc bullets. hoping to come in around 7# bare and 9# scoped. I should be able to shoot cheapish easy to find factory ammo and load my own stuff long with some of the new high bc .277 bullets made for the 6.8 Western and the .277 furry.

I'm selling my Kimber sub alpine in .280ai, great rifle but it's too light for me to shoot well and the mag box length is lacking when reloading the long copper bullets.

I cut down my Howa 6.5x55 stock and to give to my wife. It is a great rifle but too heavy for the back country and shooting copper really hinders a lot of the benefits of the smaller caliber craze

Edit: just realized this post is almost a year old 🫣

Last edited:

Squincher

WKR
To answer a few questions. I live in Ohio so the gun wouldn’t be used regularly, I have a Savage 110 in 350 legend I use for deer. I have a Savage 110 in 308 also. Both guns shoot ok but I want a nice gun. My son just finished Med school and we are going to start taking out of state hunting trips. The first trip is scheduled for 2025, Alaskan Caribou. We want to go on a moose hunt, elk, mule deer, antelope and black bear. He will be getting a new gun also in the same caliber but his will be right handed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One rifle is going to be too much or not enough for something on your list. In your shoes, I would go with some flavor of .24, .25, or .26 and a 7 PRC, and keep the .308 as a suitable back up to either.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just got a book called "One man, one land, one rifle” by J.Y. Jones.

He took every species of North American animal with a 30-06. For the bigger animals he used a 200g partition, everything else he used a 165 (accubond I think). He used the same rifle and a 2-7 red field scope for every single one of those hunts.

The only weapon modifications were cutting of a few inches of the rifle barrel when the crown got damaged and then using a tranquilizer for a jaguar hunt since he wasn’t allowed to kill one.

I took a few photos from the boot since I had it in front of me. I posted pics of the index, he successfully hunted every one of those animals with a Remington 700 adl 30-06 with 2 different hand loads and a 2-7 scope.

I’m not saying he had the ideal rifle setup but he did a lot of amazing hunts with a cartridge that people in this thread said isn’t good for the task.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 16

Pokerface

FNG
I do not know if you have read the .233 thread yet , but I do believe you can kill anything with it . The 77 gr TMK is the ticket. Rifle has to be a Tikka...

Pokerface

FNG
But seriously , any rifle , with a stock that fits you well in 30-06 (or .270 which I have) will kill anything you shoot very well. I am fond of Remington 700's, you can find used left handed ones if they don't still make one. Good luck on your quest for the perfect rifle and cartridge...Joe

OP
E

Encore4me

FNG
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting a Tikka in 300 WM and a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 scope. The first several years we will be hunting larger game in areas with chances of large bear encounters. I will probably get another gun later.

LightFoot

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting a Tikka in 300 WM and a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 scope. The first several years we will be hunting larger game in areas with chances of large bear encounters. I will probably get another gun later.

Great choice. What bullet are you going with?

>>>——JAKE——>

OP
E

Encore4me

FNG
Great choice. What bullet are you going with?

>>>——JAKE——>

Haven’t got out to shoot yet. I’m buying several box’s right now to have on hand when I start shooting to see what shoots best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
My votes go to 35 whelen or 338 win mag pick up a savage 110 cheap in 06 or the like get an er shaw barrel chambered in either out together yourself or have a gunsmith do it and you'll be well under that 2000ish price tag. Savage 110 in 06 used can find around 300-600 depending on condition. new shaw barrel under 300 right now. barrel nut wrench action vice go and no go guage under 300 midway usa. boyds stock with piller blocks around 700 max and the satisfaction of a do it yourself rifle you can be proud of each time you take an animal priceless