One big bag or a smaller bag with pods ?

Shrek

WKR
I have been looking and thinking about how I want to hunt elk next fall and I'm debating which way to go. At first I was sure I wanted a big long hunter legacy bag but now not so sure. The idea of a DT2 or 3 with a couple of large pods is looking smarter. I plan to hike in a long way then set up a base camp to hunt from. I will need a lot of room for all the supplies for a 7 to 10 day hunt but not so much for actual hunting. What are the pros and cons of a medium pack with a couple of large pods and long pockets verses a large bag with just a pair of pockets or so. Also , DT2 or 3 if I go smaller bag and pods?

Curtis C

WKR
When hunting I like the idea of having a pack 1/2 to 3/4 full with camp, gear, food etc when going in. Then when you put meat in you can attach pockets, pods, stuff sacks to the outside of the pack.

I think the DT3 is going to be small for 7-10 days, I would be looking at the DT1 or 2 for a trip that long.

I have a DT2(or I will have tomorrow). I also have KU long pockets that will be filled with gear and dropped into the pack for the hike in. Once I fill the bag with meat the long pockets attach to the outside.

C

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
When hunting I like the idea of having a pack 1/2 to 3/4 full with camp, gear, food etc when going in. Then when you put meat in you can attach pockets, pods, stuff sacks to the outside of the pack.

I think the DT3 is going to be small for 7-10 days, I would be looking at the DT1 or 2 for a trip that long.

I have a DT2(or I will have tomorrow). I also have KU long pockets that will be filled with gear and dropped into the pack for the hike in. Once I fill the bag with meat the long pockets attach to the outside.

C
l I plan to have an outfitter pack out any elk I kill.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I have a DT3 (4k ci), a medium pod (~1k ci), two large belt pockets on the back of the pack (570 ci combined), and two small pockets on the belt (285 ci combined) for about 5,850 ci total plus a Grab-it. I can fit a week's worth of gear and food into the DTE and pockets, and can attach the pod to carry my sleep system and clothes to make room in the pack and grab-it for meat. I like the versatility of this system, and also the fact that I am automatically limited on the number of "extras" that I can bring which increase pack weight.

Here's a picture of my DT3 with just the belt pockets:
attachment.php

And here it is maxed out with the pod and large pockets:
attachment.php

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
That is what I was thinking. I plan on a duplex frame so if I want I can change up with a little less pain. I'm leaning towards the DT2 with two large pods and two long pockets and two small pockets on the belt. If I can't fit it with that I need to back up and ditch some things. My concern with all the pods is how it will balance. Will I have too much out back and leave me leaning way forward. The second large pod would be on the back of the pack , moving the center of gravity back. I don't have much experience but what I do have tells me that if the weight gets too far back it will wear you out.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Large pods are huge. With a DT2, a medium pod on the bottom and a couple of long pockets on the back I can't imagine that you would be short on space. Once DT bags start trading second hand I may pick up a DT2 or even a DT1, until then the DT3 will work very well for me.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I'm holding off buying until after the season to see what comes on the market. I will stay flexible about what I buy.

I have a DT3 frame, cargo panel, two long pockets and two small belt pockets. The long pockets are awesome and dock very well on the cargo panel for extra space.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Nobody has an argument for a big bag ? Other than a big bag can be compressed down when I go lean to hunt is there any reason to go with a big bag over medium bag and pods ?

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Rye_a , thanks for posting the pics. That looks like a great rig you got. I'm 6'4" tall and wear 3xl shirts and coats. I'm getting a long wide slick bag and I will need a lot of food. I know from experience that my big clothes and equiment take a good bit more space than most so I will go for a little bigger bag and pods. The big pods can be cmpressed and will come off when I hunt and the DT2 will compress. If I buy too small I have not seen a bag streacher for sale. I'm leaning to the DT2 but was hoping for a more in depth discussion of big bag vs smaller bag and pods. It worries me when I get only one sides advantages discussed.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Are you going to pick up camp every day or try to set up a spike camp? I bought a long hunter and plan on setting up a spike I bought a pack of army surplus clips and can take my lid off and clip it to my back pouch to hunt out of about 2000 ci

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
my plan is to move each afternoon before season so I can see each area at dawn and dusk and then set camp and hunt out of it in the best area I find and move only if the elk leave the area. I plan to arrive 10 to 14 days ahead of the season to adjust to altitude and scout. Camp at the truck for a couple days then out to scout for four or five days. Back to the truck to wash clothes , get things I need and ditch things I learn I don't need. Then back out two days before until I tag out or run out of time. Plan is for first rifle in gmu 751 in Co. Looking at the NE corner 751.

dimrod

FNG
I think a big bag is more versatile. I hate being tied to stuffing things in pockets as they'll fit. I ordered a DT2 and upon receipt was disappointed with the size. I returned it and am awaiting the DT1 bag. When you add all of those pockets and pods, the weight starts to add up. It makes the bigger bag "lighter" in the long run.

muleman

WKR
I prefer to have the main bag sized big enough for the gear. The primary other packs I have used for hunting are an Eberlestock Dragonfly and a Bozeman made Dana TerrapIane. I have approximately 18 years of experience with Dana packs.

Started using Kifaru packs this summer. I got a DT3 and have used it on overnighters where I have also packed the majority of my kids gear. The overnight scouting trips with my kids confirmed for me that I prefer to have reserve unused capacity in the main bag and don't like having to mount gear externally.

I have ordered a DT1 bag for added flexibility in my arsenal and see it as being my main hunting bag. I also just picked up an unused Dana / K2 Terrframe. Can't wait to give the Terraframe some miles too.

DaveinJax,

There are a ton of threads on www.kifaruforums.net that discuss whether to go with a T1/2/3 or DT1/2/3 and what additions to use on the T2 or T3. They will give you some real world experience in what worked and didn't in terms of pouch/pocket/grabit configurations.

Larry