Old tripod died. New options/recommendations

Bluto

WKR
While attempting to gear back up for archery season I thought I was just adding upgraded binos. Apparently tripod just got added to the list. I had a Vortex Summit SS-P that suited me just fine, discontinued. I can’t even find a reliable source of how much it weighed, but I’d like to not go heavier. (2lb-ish?)

Lots of several years old threads, so I’m assuming there’s updated info on this and what folks are using. I was tempted by the black ovis treeline, but couldn’t find much positive on it here.

Known/Needs
- Bino use only, 10x42
- No spotter, no rifle rest, no photography
- I’ve never stood to glass, no plan to start
- Lightweight is a major plus, head included
- $200, preferably less

Wants
- Arca Swiss, but not a hang up. Easy fix
- Pan head, I think (seems to suit above list and needs better than a ball head?) Open to other thoughts here.

I ran the Vortex since 2014, no issues until now. I have no brand loyalty, and frankly don’t care so long as it fits the bill. I’m positive there are better ones than the Vortex, but I’ve never thought “man I wish I had a better tripod.” If they still sold this one for $100 I’d order it.

Bonus for recommendations that don’t involve Amazon.

Nethero

WKR
I recommend you don’t waste any time and buy THIS Gitzo traveler tripod ASAP.

If it doesn’t work, you can resell it. But for $200 or less you won’t do any better.

You could get the Slik SVH-501 pan head that accepts arca plates from camera land for an additional $100.

$300 total all in, but you can sell your vortex tripod for $100 (maybe more) once Vortex fixes it up for you.

My thoughts for you.

Last edited:
OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
That’s my go-to. Just wondering what folks are seeing work well for my application.

But yes, Doug and company at CLNY are good people.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Vortex responded at business opening this morning, no questions asked, already provided a preprinted shipping label and a 7-10 day fix period.

I’m going to give it a chance and see what they do. Plus I’m testing binos this week and whatever I decide, I’m ordering from CL anyway so may as well do it all at once.