Old School: Who Doesn't Hunt with a Muzzle Brake or Suppressor?

Bluefish

WKR
Thus far I haven’t used a suppressor, the process to get one seems like a huge PITA. But I’d be lying if I said I don’t want one. I don’t typically wear ear pro out in the woods, and I’m a fan of anything that can/will reduce the recoil of a rifle.
If I could make my 308 as pleasant to shoot as a 223, I’d be very pleased.

If I managed the above, I might even be able to convince my wife to come shoot and/or hunt with me. As it is now she will only shoot the 22s, because she hates the noise and is afraid of the recoil of anything larger. I got her to shoot an AR once, but after about 6 rounds she was over it.
Companies like silencer shop and silencer central have taken a lot of the hassle out of applying for your tax stamp. I have used both and once in the system it’s pretty easy to get more. Silencer shop has their kiosk which makes the process pretty easy. Silencer central will mail you fingerprint cards which you can fill out and send back. I ordered and did all the paperwork from home. Although sc does add time on the back end to transfer it to you, but it just shows up at your house. the only issue now is the 9+ month wait for the atf to process paperwork. So the sooner you start, the sooner you get one.

Shraggs

WKR
I hear this suggestion once in a while, but so far has not been a viable solution. Do you have a good suggestion for brand/model? I have tried several and between falling out of my ears (for whatever reason no earbud style headphone or ear pro has ever fit securely on me), fiddling with tiny batteries in the freezing cold/dark or trying to charge in the backcountry, none even remotely worked well-enough to be a viable option. But if there is a decent option that exists I’d be interested.
This is one of a few main reasons I decided to go down suppressed route. I’ve tried a lot of ear products and for a lot reasons they haven’t worked from fitting or the when how speed reasons.

Once I realized a custom for a grand could work, suppressor cost is comparable and offers other benefits like reduced recoil and improved ability to spot shots.

Thus far I haven’t used a suppressor, the process to get one seems like a huge PITA. But I’d be lying if I said I don’t want one. I don’t typically wear ear pro out in the woods, and I’m a fan of anything that can/will reduce the recoil of a rifle.
If I could make my 308 as pleasant to shoot as a 223, I’d be very pleased.

If I managed the above, I might even be able to convince my wife to come shoot and/or hunt with me. As it is now she will only shoot the 22s, because she hates the noise and is afraid of the recoil of anything larger. I got her to shoot an AR once, but after about 6 rounds she was over it.
If you have a local shop that sells them, the process is basically the same as buying a gun. The only real differences are they fingerprint you, and you have to wait 8-9 months to take it home.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I can understand the reluctance to suppressers, I was for a long time, but once you use one, it's easy to get hooked. I need one now for my 22 to control varmints around my chicken coop.

sglass

FNG
Ever thought of using a noise canceling in ear pro like Peltor TEP-100? (https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000232018/ amply).

It amplifies low level sounds with instant noise cancelling when you pull the trigger. Comes with multiple size plugs to fit you or you can go custom ear plug rout for not much $$. I wore something similar for hundreds of operations and I wear them hunting now. Do it right and you forget they are there. You only get one set of ears....

sglass

FNG
Ever thought of using a noise canceling in ear pro like Peltor TEP-100? (https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000232018/ amply).

It amplifies low level sounds with instant noise cancelling when you pull the trigger. Comes with multiple size plugs to fit you or you can go custom ear plug rout for not much $$. I wore something similar for hundreds of operations and I wear them hunting now. Do it right and you forget they are there. You only get one set of ears....
Forgot to mention I wear these because I use my Tikka t3 .300WSM with no break use these in combination