Oil between rail and rifle?

I usually clean and loc tite between base and action, but have used a good automotive silicone to fill up any space, and it glues the base/rail on pretty good.

nksmfamjp

FNG
I do the opposite and use brake cleaner to get any and all oil removed from both pieces

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I use alcohol between layers in the joint so I start with a consistent and clean joint. I am far more concerned about a metal chip tilting a base or stopping surface to surface contact. Your torque applied makes clamp load. The clamp load applied at the screw head to base holds a good joint in place. The specs are generally for a lightly oiled surface and threads. The bolts and nuts need their excess coating, drips, etc broken down and wiped off before running them together. I usually clean screws, run the in the hole, wipe both with alcohol and be done. A dry joint generally has a slightly lower clamp load, but a better reverse torque.
I just mounted two scope bases to swedish mauser receivers with a thin coating of JB Weld between the degreased scope mount/rail and waxed receiver. We'll see how that does...
That’s a good idea. Done correctly, that should increase your washer area quite a bit thus reducing the clamp load required to prevent sliding in recoil or when dropped which is the purpose.

I can't imagine a base being loose unless the screws are loose. If so, then there's a bigger problem than a bit of oil between base and receiver.
Generally I agree. Oil is not bad, but it makes it harder to have a truly clean lint or chip or dirt spec free joint. If I’m really concerned, I can pull it off and re clean it after a wet hunt.

Frankly I’ve never pulled a base I mounted to find rust.

Of course, use an accurate torque screwdriver always. Use reasonable torque ranges. Scope ring to scope, I like to keep 15-20 in lbs with a ring to scope tube. Generally 15 inlbs. Also similar base to rifle, but i look for rifle or base maker recommendation and follow.

I only use locktite when forced to. Some crap bases, guns, rings, scopes will not make a solid joint. Enough locktite can make most anything hold together. That said, if it won’t hold torque, it probably won’t resist and other forces well either!