NY CCW law held to be unconstitutional

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone following the litigation re: the NY CCW application requirements, SCOTUS just issued its opinion in Bruen.

The Court held: "New York’s proper-cause requirement violates the Fourteenth Amendment by preventing law-abiding citizens with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms in public for self-defense."

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I looked at the courts opinion, you would need to be a well versed lawyer to follow it. Can I get the readers digest version?

OP
D

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at the courts opinion, you would need to be a well versed lawyer to follow it. Can I get the readers digest version?
I'll be reading through it later today. The controlling opinion (written by J. Thomas) is 63 pages. And there are numerous concurring opinions plus a dissent by the three most liberal justices.

Yoder

WKR
Here's how that works. It's now unconstitutional. NY response: We don't care. We will put you in jail and you can use that as your defense in court. This is exactly what they do if you are caught transporting a handgun through NYC even though the Federal government says it's legal. It's the same with Marijuana, and sanctuary cities for illegals. It pretty much means nothing. Great job Supreme Court.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's what the left does.......SCOTUS rules, then they just ignore their ruling and proceed to violate citizen's rights. But if there's no one to "actually" stop them, what good is the SCOTUS or their rulings? What we need is "we the people" to wake up and stop voting these traitors into office in the first place.

WRM

WKR
What the opinion "means" likely will be argued about for decades. And, yes, libtards will do their best to get around it. I've not read the opinion and may never do so, even though I am an attorney. Just from the quotes I've seen I know it's a: BIG F'ING DEAL (to quote Biden to Obama when Obamacare passed).

FLATHEAD

WKR
As it should be.
The left gets their hair on fire about certain segments of the population and their CIVIL RIGHTS, but dont give 2 ships about my CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.
And yes, they should be sued for violating peoples Constitutional Rights.

260madman

WKR
Basically the states that are "may issue" have to change to "shall issue".
Yes.

Alito put the smack down on the dissenters. He’s off their Christmas card list for this year. You truly can see activist judicial process on display in this case. Sickening.

southLA

WKR
Social media right now (always) is hilarious (depressing). Apparently nobody read the ruling or even a synopsis of the ruling. According to Twitter, any crazy old fool can now go and buy a gun on the internet and ship it to their house and carry it concealed and be within the law.

OneGunTex

FNG
Basically the states that are "may issue" have to change to "shall issue".
This, plus declaring that 2A is like all the others and cannot be regulated in any manner that puts an unreasonable burden on the citizen (strict scrutiny).
Specifically noted that handguns are "in common use" so can't be banned, and that "sensitive places" that ban carry can only be narrowly defined.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

WRM

WKR
Being this is a SCOUS ruling, how does it effect other states with restrictive CC laws.

They likely may ignore it, until they too are sued and taken to task. Like ol Governor Wallace in deseg days: you made your "law" SCOTUS, now enforce it.

WRM

WKR
Social media right now (always) is hilarious (depressing). Apparently nobody read the ruling or even a synopsis of the ruling. According to Twitter, any crazy old fool can now go and buy a gun on the internet and ship it to their house and carry it concealed and be within the law.

Don't forget they can still obtain an abortion in many states while they are carrying/obtaining their firearm. Never understood how someone can launch on the 2nd and simultaneously support, just as vehemently, the current right to terminate a pregnancy. But, people are crazy.

OP
D

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
...Never understood how someone can launch on the 2nd and simultaneously support, just as vehemently, the current right to terminate a pregnancy. But, people are crazy.
Because politicians and their constituents have a very difficult time understanding the Constitution is not beholden to the whims of public pressure (or how the views of white males 231 years ago control what they can do today).

amassi

WKR
Don't forget they can still obtain an abortion in many states while they are carrying/obtaining their firearm. Never understood how someone can launch on the 2nd and simultaneously support, just as vehemently, the current right to terminate a pregnancy. But, people are crazy.
You don't understand why someone who feels they lack autonomy for their body and are subject to forced pregnancy would not feel empathy for someone else's civil or constitutional rights? It's a tough sell for any maligned group to champion the cause of justice when they are faced with injustice.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk