NWT Sheep Hunt

Cbulla

FNG
Going on first ever sheep hunt in the NWT first 2 weeks of September. Trying to keep my clothing as minimal as possible, but stressing over what to pack. Going with Attack pant and Helly Hansen Impertech rain pant. Also have the KUIU super down pant. As far as Jackets I have KUIU Guide jacket, haven't made up my mind on rain jacket yet, Primaloft vest and merino base layers. Do I need a puffy jacket? Should I leave the Guide jacket and take puffy jacket? Stressing!! Any advice to any of my clothing choices would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Leave the soft shell and take a puffy for sure. You'll probably end up wearing your rain jacket for most of the time. My personal setup for the north during that time of year is a merino base layer. mid weight fleece, puffy, heavier weight rain jacket (kuiu yukon/ sitka stormfront)

Cripler

FNG
X2 on leaving the guide jacket and bring the puffy for under your rain jacket. I just run the kuiu chugach rain jacket for September sheep in northern Alberta but you could see colder temps in the NWT. So a heavier rain jacket would be be a better options

wyosteve

WKR
I agree with leaving the puffy pants behind. No real use for them that I could envision.

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
When your pinned down by a sheep for hours on end or have to spend the might away from your tent those puffy pants will be invaluable.

Awesome place for sure! You will love this hunt!

I was up there in 2012 the last part of August and first part of September - 12 day horseback hunt. Bowhunted for sheep and caribou. We got one full day of rain and a couple of dustings of snow. The weather was not too bad though and most days were very nice and sunny.

The merino base layers were awesome on my hunt - I had Minus 33 and First Lite. I had the First Lite Kanab pants that were awesome as well - really light for hiking and dried fast. I also took Sitka pants, vest and shell along, but they did not do as well as the wool and didn't wear them much after the first couple of days.

The Attack pants are pretty good and I have been using them for mountain hunting quite a bit and they are great for ventilation when you are hiking around a lot. The Alpine is awesome with the padded knees! Necessary for bowhunting when you might be squatted down in the rocks for hours waiting on that animal to stand up for the shot. Could be a help when rifle hunting as well if you need to get into a kneeling position for the shot.

Have recently gotten the superdown puffy from Kuiu and love it for backpacking- super light weight, packs super small, and is very warm... however it is noisy! Not going to be much use for bowhunting during a stalk for sure! I would definitely take the puffy and the pants and keep them in your pack!

You might want to wear that guide jacket on the plane - it will be handy to have along. A good warm vest will be great to have along as well - I took a King of the Mountain vest, but would probably opt for something a bit lighter weight next time.

You will want to have some really good rain gear. If you are going on horseback, it will need to be tougher as the horses will tend to scrape you up against the trees and can tear even the best materials.

Limit yourself to one set of merino wool base layers, one good pair of hunting pants, a vest, the puffy top and bottom, one good set of rain gear, a good hat and 3 pairs of good wool socks. You should probably take an extra pair of good boots for when you get one pair soaked (it will happen).

Good Luck!

MattB

WKR
You are on the right track. We spent a night away from camp last time I was there and the puffy ants would have been awesome. Leave the guide jacket at home. I would rethink the Impertec - reliable but not the best rain gear for really active hunts as you will get soaks by your own sweat.

bcimport

WKR
Keep the puffy gear, lose the soft Shell as mentioned many times above. Even if it isn't "cool" anymore the impertech is the way to go for rain gear. If you are wearing Rain gear and climbing you are gonna sweat so strip down before you go. I've had everything in the rain gear department and I can guarantee none of the breathable stuff will breathe enough to keep you dry when working hard and once it wets out it either leaks or stops breathing anyways. At least the helly is always waterproof, pretty quiet and affordable.

7mag.

WKR
You might want to get a hold of Aron Snyder, he was guiding sheep hunters in the NWT a couple of years ago. He's a very friendly and helpful guy, I'm sure he can answer any of your questions.

325 wsm

FNG
you wouldnt be stressed if you hadent been keeping up to date on all the gear and clothing propaganda that gets spewed on the internet. Most of this gear is designed to make money. All you have to do is avoid cotton and down and you will be fine. The only advancement I can give credit to in the last 50 years is gore-tex and similar rainwear materials. As a sheep guide for over 20 years now I cringe at the prices charged for todays gear. Blue is my favorite and most sucessful hunting colour. Show up with what ya got, hunt and be happy.

OP
Cbulla

Cbulla

FNG
Thanks to everybody for the great advice! It was most helpful. This ol boy from the southeast is looking forward to experiencing the NWT! I agree with 325wsm. All the info out there is over whelming, and sometimes you go with what you know. I would like to ask why is the soft shell not good ? Thanks again!!

325 wsm

FNG
Not even sure what a soft shell is but if its not cotton or down its OK. I still call a jacket a jacket.

ChrisS

WKR
I would like to ask why is the soft shell not good ?
Softshells are relatively heavy, they're not as warm as puffies, and they're not as waterproof as raingear. They can be nice to wear, depending on the weather, but if you're looking to shave weight, you're already bringing something that does what a softshell can do.