NWT Late Sept into Oct ~ Tent Advice (Hilleberg vs Durston/TarpT, etc.)

TMA805

FNG
Have read lots of informative reviews and comments on various set ups but hadn't see much on late season hunts far up north. Will be hunting end of Sept into first week October for Caribou up in NWT, Mackenzie mountains. Dall is optional, pending tag availbility. I've hunted twice in BC before, but in early to mid Sept, so not as far north and not as far into season. Thoughts on trekking pole designs (Durston X-mid, TarpTent Stratospire, etc.) being able handle heavy winds, snow, rain? Or forgo weight benefits and just jump to heavier 4 season Hilleberg (Nammjt2, Jannu, Allak2). Any additional input on freestanding vs tunnel(requiring stakes)? Tent just for me, but wanting extra room of 2 person design. Any info greatly appreciated.

VernAK

WKR
You're getting into some late season weather possibilities. I'd tend to go with the 4 season black label Hillebergs. I use a Kifaru Sawtooth in mid September just south of the Arctic Circle by 100 miles. If we are going to be in an exposed location, I take my Hilleberg Tarra.

OP
TMA805

TMA805

FNG
You're getting into some late season weather possibilities. I'd tend to go with the 4 season black label Hillebergs. I use a Kifaru Sawtooth in mid September just south of the Arctic Circle by 100 miles. If we are going to be in an exposed location, I take my Hilleberg Tarra.
Thank you

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Have read lots of informative reviews and comments on various set ups but hadn't see much on late season hunts far up north. Will be hunting end of Sept into first week October for Caribou up in NWT, Mackenzie mountains. Dall is optional, pending tag availbility. I've hunted twice in BC before, but in early to mid Sept, so not as far north and not as far into season. Thoughts on trekking pole designs (Durston X-mid, TarpTent Stratospire, etc.) being able handle heavy winds, snow, rain? Or forgo weight benefits and just jump to heavier 4 season Hilleberg (Nammjt2, Jannu, Allak2). Any additional input on freestanding vs tunnel(requiring stakes)? Tent just for me, but wanting extra room of 2 person design. Any info greatly appreciated.
I've used both an Allak and a Nallo 2GT at about the same time of year and same latitude as you'll be in the NWT, just over in the Yukon. I wouldn't be worried with any of the hilleberg's you listed. I didn't have any trouble finding sites to pitch the Nallo, and it weathered some pretty good storms using 10-12 stakes. I have been trying out a stratospire 2 Li this season. While I've been happy with it so far it would not be my choice for a late season hunt in the NWT.

OP
TMA805

TMA805

FNG
Thank you. Extra weight of GT version w/larger vestibule, worth it? Hunt is 8 to 10 days where we're initially dropped off, setting up camp, foot hunt from there. Anticipating at least 1 (if not 2) moves where we'll be hiking over to new drainages and basins & setting up all over again. Thus weight considerations. Nammtj2 (black label) & Nallo2 GT (red label) are roughly same weight.

Jimbob

WKR
I spent an evening in my Seek Outside Eolus during a crazy lightning storm. The wind was ripping and the thunder cracks were downright scary. We were camped high up on a pretty exposed part of the mountain, with zero trees around. I stayed awake holding the trekking poles and praying while my son slept beside me. At that moment I wanted a 4 season tent. Then the storm passed and the shelter handled it perfectly, I was only holding the poles in case something ripped. The key to that shelter handling those winds was a small rock wall we built around it, no wind could get underneath the tent and lift it up. Weathering that storm gave me lots of confidence in what the Eolus can handle. It goes on all my early fall mountain hunts.

However, the what-if of a shelter failure during the late season concerns me. If I am in a place that I can walk out in a day then I might choose the lighter option. Also, if I am camping in trees then ya a lighter option for sure. Now, If I was getting dropped off by a plane and camping in the alpine in NWT in October then I think I would be buying a four-season tent.

OP
TMA805

TMA805

FNG
Thanks, appreciate the story and feedback. Given fact that I can't just hike back & indeed getting dropped of, I will go true 4 season tent.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. Extra weight of GT version w/larger vestibule, worth it? Hunt is 8 to 10 days where we're initially dropped off, setting up camp, foot hunt from there. Anticipating at least 1 (if not 2) moves where we'll be hiking over to new drainages and basins & setting up all over again. Thus weight considerations. Nammtj2 (black label) & Nallo2 GT (red label) are roughly same weight.
I really like the GT vestibule. After getting weathered in with a tent that has it you don't really want to go back. With the Nallo I never felt like I had to worry about it getting flattened by wind or snow load. I have no experience with the Nammatj, although the people I know that have used them say they're incredibly tough and vent a little better than the Nallo.

sneaky

"DADDY"
How tall are you? Nallo/Nammatj have the sloping rear wall, Kaitum/Keron have vertical walls head and feet. If you're over 6ft it's something to consider. Tarptent Scarp has corner struts that give a foot or so end walls. Just some thoughts.

OP
TMA805

TMA805

FNG
How tall are you? Nallo/Nammatj have the sloping rear wall, Kaitum/Keron have vertical walls head and feet. If you're over 6ft it's something to consider. Tarptent Scarp has corner struts that give a foot or so end walls. Just some thoughts.
5'9. Thanks for the heads up, good to know

OP
TMA805

TMA805

FNG
I decided on Nammatj 2GT. And luckily found a decent deal(discount). Figured I'd rather have 4 season durability & extra room of vestibule and that I'd find other ways to trim weight to make up for it. Thanks to those who posted responses & thoughts, appreciated.