NW Colorado (unit 21, 30) Last Minute Planning

label027

FNG
Hey guys, my partner and I had to make a last minute change in hunting locations yesterday and picked up a leftover tag for unit 21. We have never been there, which is part of the fun! We are leaving to head out there late tomorrow, which only leaves a day and possibly an evening if we can make good time, of scouting before season starts.

We were planning on hunting unit 30 (unless you have a better recommendation!). I am bringing out a truck camper and hauling an ATV with us. My question is, what kind of camp spots are in the area? And since we will be there so late, am I going to have trouble finding a flat spot to set up camp?

Also, with all the rain lately in the area, I imagine roads are going to be a little swampy. Can't be much worse than Idaho last year after a pretty big snowfall and warm weather to follow, but what can I expect?

Any other pointers you can throw my way would be much appreciated! Terrain looks big and steep, although similar to where we had planned on going. I'm not afraid to put in the miles, but wish I wouldn't have skipped a few of those workouts!

OFFHNTN

WKR
I can't help with the units or info, but want to with you good luck!!!

This will be our first time hunting out there. I scouted for a few days this summer. There are natural gas Wells all over the place and from the area I was in, finding a flat spot to camp should t be too hard unless it's super crowded. I can imagine it's gonna be a muddy mess though. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
L

label027

FNG
Ok good to know. Yep I think you are right, it's going to be a mess! Looks like we'll have good weather for the season though. Obviously that can change in an instant. Looking forward to it!

Thanks for the luck guys, you too.

davsco

WKR
i tried to make it up to square s summer range today but had to turn back with my f250 at 8k feet, just too muddy/soupy and didn't want to risk going off the side again. more rain predicted on top of freeze/thaw cycles.

bwlacy

WKR
i tried to make it up to square s summer range today but had to turn back with my f250 at 8k feet, just too muddy/soupy and didn't want to risk going off the side again. more rain predicted on top of freeze/thaw cycles.

Yet a month ago it was as dry as a popcorn fart. Damn dust bowl with no rain all summer.