Nutrition heresy

What kind of plant foods would make the list of Inupiat foods that were not fermented? I love learning about these primitive foods. In Ukraine I are meatballs that were cooked in grape leaves. Not sure if that’s a Ukraine thing but it was an adventure, loved it.

I was listening to Meateater yesterday and the guest was talking about Native people preserving fish in the alaskan Fall season. According to him they left it out to rot and when it froze would keep it for winter eating. That’s wild!

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
What kind of plant foods would make the list of Inupiat foods that were not fermented? I love learning about these primitive foods. In Ukraine I are meatballs that were cooked in grape leaves. Not sure if that’s a Ukraine thing but it was an adventure, loved it.

I was listening to Meateater yesterday and the guest was talking about Native people preserving fish in the alaskan Fall season. According to him they left it out to rot and when it froze would keep it for winter eating. That’s wild!
Willow shoots and young leaves will be eaten fresh, though also preserved in seal oil after being dried.

Wild celery is eat raw, the stems are too moist to preserve in oil (and fermentation is not discussed).

While normally preserved in seal oil, bistort was also fermented for preservation.

Fireweed is both eaten raw and preserved in seal oil.

The roots of tall cottongrass, eskimo potato, and horsetail are collected from mouse catches and eaten raw or cooked fresh. For Eskimo potato it is recommended to eat with seal oil to prevent constipation.

Wild chive would be steamed and eaten as greens, though it is also used as a seasoning.

The tribes of the South East actively cultivated salmon berries and would also eat the raw shoots in the spring. There are many varieties of berries to include crow berries, blue berries, and moose berry that were gathered and eaten.

That is a sample, my wife is the forager and knows more.