NRL Hunter Cartridge Dilema

rootacres

WKR
Ok so I want to shoot some of the NRL Hunter matches this year. I would shoot in open light. My rifle is a 7 SAUM build in a great configuration to jump right into the NRL. My only problem is, I like the 7 SAUM cartridge for hunting but don't want to torch my barrel this spring/summer if I shoot a lot (the barrel already has 400 ish rounds down it). The way I see it, I have 2 options, as I don't want to go spend another $5K+ on a build and the idea of a switch barrel seems more appealing as the competition setup will be basically identical to how I would set it up for hunting.

Option 1
Run what I brung, get another 7 SAUM barrel on order possibly.

Option 2
Procure a 6.5 creed barrel (or something similar). Spin off my 7 SAUM, shoot the 6.5 creed in the offseason. As I get closer to hunting season throw the 7 SAUM barrel back on. Zero and go hunt.

Is anyone doing something like this, or does everyone have stand alone hunting and comp rigs?

Also, if I chose option 2. . Im leaning 6.5 creed, but I am open to opinions on this. Thank in advance.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Barrels are inexpensive.

Shoot it out and don’t look back.

Rebarrel for a great bullet burning less powder and never look back.

Don‘t overthink it.

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I am building two moderately priced rifles set up identically rather than one $5k build. I went with a 6.5CM and 7 SAUM with Origin actions, Shilen 20” barrels, KRG Bravo, and 3-9 SWFA. I’m still waiting on parts so I cannot comment on results yet.

I plan to shoot 2-3 NRL hunter matches and just discovered the series late last year. I’m so stoked to get behind a more shootable setup rather than a 8 lb 30-06.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I vote that you switch to 6.5 after you burn up the 7mm barrel and don't look back.

Even better, have your gunsmith chamber multiple barrels in 6.5 at the same time and you're set for a long time. They are easy to install if they are already headspaced properly.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
Barrels are inexpensive.

Shoot it out and don’t look back.

Rebarrel for a great bullet burning less powder and never look back.

Don‘t overthink it.
My 7 SAUM is a Proof prefit that Im having a titanium brake turned down on and the whole thing cerakoted. As much as barrels are kind of considered a consumable, this one is a little different.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
My 7 SAUM is a Proof prefit that Im having a titanium brake turned down on and the whole thing cerakoted. As much as barrels are kind of considered a consumable, this one is a little different.
I would skip both of those and shoot it until it's toast. Save the money you would have wasted for more ammo and barrels.

6.5x284

WKR
I’d buy a new bolt face and 6.5 CM prefit that meets your weight requirement and spin it on over a cold beer for NRL season. Then I’d shoot the last match of the year with the 7SAUM to get back in the swing of things for hunting season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is after you shoot a match you are either 100% confident with your rifle or you know that you have something to look at when you get home. So if you go out there and shoot your 7 SAUM and don't do quite as well as you would have with a 6.5 creed but you are now 100% confident in your hunting rifle then that is a win in my eyes.

It all kind of boils down to your goals for shooting the matches too. If you want to go out and bring home a trophy then 100% spin up a 6.5 or 25 creed. Every year on late season cow hunts I take my PRS rifle without another thought because I know that the dope, zero, and loads are all 100% because I have put a lot of rounds down those barrels. Yes I am pretty confident in my hunting rifles but there is an increased sense of confidence when you put that many rounds down a barrel.

A 6.5 creed barrel or just a steel SAUM barrel with same chamber, length, twist as your carbon barrel would both work. You might feel more confident about your data shooting the same cartridge. Creed would be more fun to shoot a bunch though.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
I’d buy a new bolt face and 6.5 CM prefit that meets your weight requirement and spin it on over a cold beer for NRL season. Then I’d shoot the last match of the year with the 7SAUM to get back in the swing of things for hunting season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats a good idea. Get reps with the 6.5 and then regain confidence / true my dope with the SAUM before hunting season.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
A 6.5 creed barrel or just a steel SAUM barrel with same chamber, length, twist as your carbon barrel would both work. You might feel more confident about your data shooting the same cartridge. Creed would be more fun to shoot a bunch though.
If the SAUM brass wasn't such a nightmare to find right now this road would be pretty enticing. It's one of my hangups on just going the SAUM route altogether.

Hansoman

FNG
Ok so I want to shoot some of the NRL Hunter matches this year. I would shoot in open light. My rifle is a 7 SAUM build in a great configuration to jump right into the NRL. My only problem is, I like the 7 SAUM cartridge for hunting but don't want to torch my barrel this spring/summer if I shoot a lot (the barrel already has 400 ish rounds down it). The way I see it, I have 2 options, as I don't want to go spend another $5K+ on a build and the idea of a switch barrel seems more appealing as the competition setup will be basically identical to how I would set it up for hunting.

Option 1
Run what I brung, get another 7 SAUM barrel on order possibly.

Option 2
Procure a 6.5 creed barrel (or something similar). Spin off my 7 SAUM, shoot the 6.5 creed in the offseason. As I get closer to hunting season throw the 7 SAUM barrel back on. Zero and go hunt.

Is anyone doing something like this, or does everyone have stand alone hunting and comp rigs?

Also, if I chose option 2. . Im leaning 6.5 creed, but I am open to opinions on this. Thank in advance.
Not a bad idea, 6.5 creed would be ideal for shooting all year. Not a bad idea

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I also use my 7 SAUM for hunting and NRL matches. I took and had a 6.5 PRC barrel spun up for it, since I shoot XM length to save my carbon 7 SAUM tube. Also, I can run an 18in steel barrel with can and still make power factor with 140's and 6.5 PRC.

Wrench

WKR
I'd spin a $185.00 wilson up and go wear it out.....then put your pretty barrel back on for gram season.

jiminco

FNG
I like your option 2. I'm thinking of doing something similar. I've used my 6.5 PRC; but it's just enough recoil that it's easy to not see your misses. My plan is to drop a 6.5 cm ba into the same chassis and use it like a trainer.