NR Wyoming Pronghorn Hunt; 10 -12 preference points

My buddy and I have I think 11 preference points for antelope in Wyoming. We are thinking we would like to cash out this year (2024). I am wanting to start doing some e-scouting for determining which unit to put in for.... without giving away specific spots... does anyone have recommendations for which units they would try for? I would prefer to be on the high end of units - or try that - and then if we don't get drawn we get another PP and move on. Again, not trying to infringe on anyone's specific spots but if some of you with experience would be willing to help point me in the right direction for units to apply for i would appreciate it!

Thank you all.

Welcome to the site! Please check the forum rules on posting unit details. You will not get any support with this type of inquiry.

Before you escout, you should first look at the harvest statistics and draw odds posted by WYGF to select a handful of units (plans A, B, C, and D) that look good. Then you will have a basis to start from and can begin escouting. This will also help determine they type of terrrain and what you and your buddy can reasonably cover.

Most of what you're asking for can be found if you do the legwork. If you don't have the time, there are multiple hunting apps and brokers that will do it for a fee. Nobody, and I mean nobody, on this site is going to give away any unit information publicly, as too many trailheads, spots, and units have been blow up by doing so.

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
Look at the responses to similar recent posts for hints on how to pick a unit using past draw odds and 2024 quota data when available. Look at "Mule Deer Wyoming Options" in the Mule Deer forum.

TaperPin

WKR
My buddy and I have I think 11 preference points for antelope in Wyoming. We are thinking we would like to cash out this year (2024). I am wanting to start doing some e-scouting for determining which unit to put in for.... without giving away specific spots... does anyone have recommendations for which units they would try for? I would prefer to be on the high end of units - or try that - and then if we don't get drawn we get another PP and move on. Again, not trying to infringe on anyone's specific spots but if some of you with experience would be willing to help point me in the right direction for units to apply for i would appreciate it!

Thank you all.
The winter is far from over, so who knows if individual units will have a lot of die off, but areas that have traditionally produced well are where I’d start.

I‘m born and raised in great antelope country, but we were always looking for the next area to come back strong and have 15” goats everywhere. I really dislike hunting next to private land, so my favorite spots were all public land, as far away from big towns as possible.

It’s a horrible way to ruin an area, but fb groups often spread way too much information about where bucks were shot.

Watch out for putting too much credibility in what a map shows. Try to get as much local knowledge about an area as possible. Like a trout stream, fish aren’t spread evenly across a stream, and fishing where trout are not, is as productive as looking for antelope where they just don’t like to be. Some very good areas also have very few antelope - if you feel better glassing a large number of antelope alongside dozens of other guys running them all over day after day, then you want large numbers of goats. On the other hand if you like to only see a few other hunters each day, look to the less populated areas away from easy access.

OP
H
Look at the responses to similar recent posts for hints on how to pick a unit using past draw odds and 2024 quota data when available. Look at "Mule Deer Wyoming Options" in the Mule Deer forum.
That is good advice - thank you.

OP
H
The winter is far from over, so who knows if individual units will have a lot of die off, but areas that have traditionally produced well are where I’d start.

I‘m born and raised in great antelope country, but we were always looking for the next area to come back strong and have 15” goats everywhere. I really dislike hunting next to private land, so my favorite spots were all public land, as far away from big towns as possible.

It’s a horrible way to ruin an area, but fb groups often spread way too much information about where bucks were shot.

Watch out for putting too much credibility in what a map shows. Try to get as much local knowledge about an area as possible. Like a trout stream, fish aren’t spread evenly across a stream, and fishing where trout are not, is as productive as looking for antelope where they just don’t like to be. Some very good areas also have very few antelope - if you feel better glassing a large number of antelope alongside dozens of other guys running them all over day after day, then you want large numbers of goats. On the other hand if you like to only see a few other hunters each day, look to the less populated areas away from easy access.
We will be hunting public where ever we land. So thinking about proximity to big towns or areas that are easy to find lodging, etc... never thought of that. It's a good factor to consider so i appreciate that.

TaperPin

WKR
We will be hunting public where ever we land. So thinking about proximity to big towns or areas that are easy to find lodging, etc... never thought of that. It's a good factor to consider so i appreciate that.
Why do I always get a whif of antelope smell when talking about them? Lol

You’ll probably see a lot more resident hunters than non resident - locals can go out every day after work if the area is within an easy drive, while nonresidents often try to cram travel, scouting and hunting into a calendar week. Guided hunts can be based out of a town or ranch, but they will be sleeping there and driving out early. Old retired guys leave the house at 4 every morning and hunt until dark. Every high school kid in town will hot rod out every afternoon driving everything from a geo metro to f350. College kids have even more time, especially if they like to hunt and can line up all fall classes into Tuesday and Thursday. At one time the first day of hunting seasons were all treated as unofficial holidays. Now, I wouldn’t doubt epidemics of faux Covid strike every fall. Lol

Antelope are often easy to see at great distance from the roads in an area, so if there’s a big buck in flat country a lot of guys will know about it - every local has a spotting scope and window mount permanently within easy reach. It’s not uncommon to see a cluster of vehicles jockeying for position as they run a big buck back and forth over a multi mile patch - true combat hunting. I stay as far away from that mess as possible, and look for country with some ups and downs, few gravel roads, some hidden little drainages not easy to see from even the dirt roads, and few two-tracks on ridge tops. If you haven’t hunted sage country much, it’s full of two-track dirt roads that are your travel routes. Two wheel drive trucks and cars with limited clearance are limited - not a lot of rocks, but deep ruts and sage growing in the middle strip.

You’ll have a great time.

johnsd16

WKR
There’s only a handful of units that take 9-11 points. Decide regular or special draw or make a list of the units for both that are in your point range then look at where they are in the state, what terrain they have, public land, close to town or far from a town (hotel hunt vs camping) and you’ll likely have it down to 1-3 units each for reg and special.

Reactions: EdP

Mojave

WKR
I think you will find units that take 11 points will take 13 points in actuality.

manitou1

WKR
Why do I always get a whif of antelope smell when talking about them? Lol

You’ll probably see a lot more resident hunters than non resident - locals can go out every day after work if the area is within an easy drive, while nonresidents often try to cram travel, scouting and hunting into a calendar week. Guided hunts can be based out of a town or ranch, but they will be sleeping there and driving out early. Old retired guys leave the house at 4 every morning and hunt until dark. Every high school kid in town will hot rod out every afternoon driving everything from a geo metro to f350. College kids have even more time, especially if they like to hunt and can line up all fall classes into Tuesday and Thursday. At one time the first day of hunting seasons were all treated as unofficial holidays. Now, I wouldn’t doubt epidemics of faux Covid strike every fall. Lol

Antelope are often easy to see at great distance from the roads in an area, so if there’s a big buck in flat country a lot of guys will know about it - every local has a spotting scope and window mount permanently within easy reach. It’s not uncommon to see a cluster of vehicles jockeying for position as they run a big buck back and forth over a multi mile patch - true combat hunting. I stay as far away from that mess as possible, and look for country with some ups and downs, few gravel roads, some hidden little drainages not easy to see from even the dirt roads, and few two-tracks on ridge tops. If you haven’t hunted sage country much, it’s full of two-track dirt roads that are your travel routes. Two wheel drive trucks and cars with limited clearance are limited - not a lot of rocks, but deep ruts and sage growing in the middle strip.

You’ll have a great time.
We see about seventeen NR per resident license plates here in WY where we live.
Most residents I know gave up on hunting them due to the circus.