Now The Fun Starts

Coastie6

FNG
Hey FNG from SW Missouri. Current landlocked Coastie. Recently retired from State university where I was a firearms instructor and on their professional staff. I've always been an avid outdoorsman, and always wanted to do some more precision long distance shooting (for here at least). I just bought a used Tikka T3X Superlite (Cabela's variant) in 6.5 Creedmoor because I've been wanting a rifle in the caliber and because its what I can afford. Intent is to have fun and get proficient out to about 500+yds. If I like the 6.5 CM I might whitetail hunt with it rather than my trusted Remington 700 in 30.06 (yeah I know, but give me a break, I'm an old guy). My plan is to mount a Leupold Freedom 4-12x40 Creedmoor scope using Talley lightweight rings on the Tikka. I'm sure I'll be posting lots of dumb question about upgraded equipment and such. Looking to buy new binoculars, rangefinder and hunting clothing. I've been lurking for a while and appreciate that theres lots of information to sort through on these topics. Thanks to the site host and everyone who contributes to make RokSlide such a great resource! Cheers!

huck

Lil-Rokslider
welcome,and keep shootin that 06, theyve been around that long for a reason .

OP
Coastie6

Coastie6

FNG
Thanks guys! Huck, will definitely keep shooting the .06. I made a switch and shot a .270 for about 6 seasons and just never loved it so went back. Also had a .300 WSM that I probably should have kept for some long-range steel shooting. Unfortunately, I sold it about 15 or 16 years ago. I know theres mixed feelings on 6.5 CM here. But, most of the controversy seems to center around whether its appropriate for long-range hunting of medium to large game. Not my intended use. Buddy bought some land and I picked up some steel gongs so as the title states, "Now the Fun Starts" I can also assure you, no man bun, skinny jeans, Birkenstocks, or Starbucks here.