Nosler brass flash-hole

Gila

WKR
Well....finally obtained a couple bricks of primers at retail prices (the $80 a brick days are over). So, starting load development on my 300 win mag. Tumbled the prepped and resized brass (Norma, Nosler) and they came out all clean and shiny including the primer pockets. BUT....EVERY PIECE of Nosler brass had media stuck in the flash hole! I had to poke out the media with a small wire. I used the same tool to clean the primer pockets for both the Norma and Nosler brass. All of the brass is from fired factory ammo. Sooo...logic would dictate that the flash hole on the Nosler brass is smaller. I don’t have a flash hole debur tool because all of my new brass (Lapua, Nosler) came with the flash hole de-burred.

I deduced that I need to go out and buy a flash hole debur tool. And then down further into the rabbit hole I went. I like K&M products, so made a trip to their website. They have two different sizes of tools, one for “standard“ flash holes (.080”) and one for 1.5mm (.062”) for Lapua cases. Scratching my head, I measure the de-capping pins on Lee and Hornady dies. Well...that revealed .070” and .072” respectively. Maybe just maybe, the Lapua flash hole size of .062” is for small rifle calibers? I pushed the de-capping pins through the new Lapua large rifle brass that I have and no resistance. I then bought the K&M flash hole de-burr tool with a .080” mandrel. I think I am out of the rabbit hole now, but I need a sanity check!

I’ve used nearly all brands of brass and have had media stuck in the flash holes of all of them. I’m more curious on the primers tho, what are you calling retail prices and where did you find them (local or online)

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
I’ve used nearly all brands of brass and have had media stuck in the flash holes of all of them. I’m more curious on the primers tho, what are you calling retail prices and where did you find them (local or online)
One again the Norma brass was all clear. After I use the flash hole tool, I am sure the Nosler brass will be clear as well. I would think it all has to do with the particle size of different brands of tumbling media. Could be slight deviations in flash hole size for the brass used in factory ammo, I don’t know. I want to be consistent as possible with the different brands of brass that I use.

The primers I bought on-line. All I have ever seen in the local stores for the last couple of years was small pistol primers and they sold out in hours. Reloading components have become like someones hunting spots. I should think that when someone posts on public forums where reloading components are in stock that those components end up on GB for 2-3 times what they are worth. So, I won’t post that info on a forum or private message either. I think it is more fair that way for people like me who can only afford what they need. I just looked and are sold out again. I paid $130 for large rifle and $140 for magnum large rifle which is far below what the gougers want On GB.

One again the Norma brass was all clear. After I use the flash hole tool, I am sure the Nosler brass will be clear as well. I would think it all has to do with the particle size of different brands of tumbling media. Could be slight deviations in flash hole size for the brass used in factory ammo, I don’t know. I want to be consistent as possible with the different brands of brass that I use.

The primers I bought on-line. All I have ever seen in the local stores for the last couple of years was small pistol primers and they sold out in hours. Reloading components have become like someones hunting spots. I should think that when someone posts on public forums where reloading components are in stock that those components end up on GB for 2-3 times what they are worth. So, I won’t post that info on a forum or private message either. I think it is more fair that way for people like me who can only afford what they need. I just looked and are sold out again. I paid $130 for large rifle and $140 for magnum large rifle which is far below what the gougers want On GB.
So $130 and $140 per 1000?

No I’m not looking, but that’s high for what I’ve seen just in the last few weeks. Powder valley just had LR for $80/1000. Shipping bumps it up I know.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
So $130 and $140 per 1000?

No I’m not looking, but that’s high for what I’ve seen just in the last few weeks. Powder valley just had LR for $80/1000. Shipping bumps it up I know.
No...that was without shipping. Yup...that is high but was the only game in town.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
de-burred the flash holes on the Nosler brass....every case had spirals of brass come out of the flash hole. I am not a machinist, but it appears the flash holes were improperly drilled. The brass is from fired ammunition (Nosler Trophy Grade) different lots. I really didn’t think I would need to de-burr fire formed brass. Lesson learned, all brass will be de-burred the first time I prime the case. The Norma brass flash holes were clean.

I use a flash hole deburring tool from Sinclair on all new brass. I use Norma with my 300, use Hornady with my wife’s and I tried some Nosler in my 300 that I found a while back. I didn’t notice anything different that was brand-specific concerning the flash holes between the 3 brands.

If you are interested in NEW Nosler brass, let me know. I’m looking to pick up some more Hornady brass for the wife and I have plenty of Norma to shoot exclusively Norma in mine.

As far as primers… I walked in and bought 900 205Ms yesterday. Several stores have had small rifle and a bunch of pistol. Varget, H4350 and H4831SC were on the shelf last weekend. I hadn’t been to town looking for a long time. I was shocked.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
I have plenty brass, powders and primers...bullets are in short supply. I have several hundred ELD-x bullets but would like to load up some 180 gr bonded bullets. I would like to get some Accubonds and some Interbonds but both are hard to come by right now. I would like to try some Sierra Gamechangers but havn’t found any yet. I use the K&M flash hole de-burr tool. Never thought I would need for once fired brass though.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
I still dry tumble, its what I already own and I don't want to spend more money or mess with drying cases. Plus there are all kinds of stories of stuck pins.
Say something helpful.
If ain’t broke why fix it? Tumble the cases for an hour. Dump through a sifter in a bucket and done. How easy could it be? If I didn’t tumble, I would not have known that I needed to de-burr the flash holes on once fired brass.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I still dry tumble, its what I already own and I don't want to spend more money or mess with drying cases. Plus there are all kinds of stories of stuck pins.
Say something helpful.
Messing with drying cases? Yeah I mean leaving them in the basket for a day dosent seem like a big deal but to each their own. Pins stuck? I havnt used pins for 5 years, just steel tumbling media. I used to mess with dry tumblers too but I had plugged primer pockets and a layer of dust in my place. I’ll also add that you need to loosen up, no need to be offended that somebody dosent like to dry tumble lol.