Northern Wisconsin Big Woods...

Would it even be worth for a guy to come up to track deer? Looking for something other than just sitting in a stand.
I think so. It's really the only kind of hunting that makes sense with such low deer density. Baiting can work too, but it's now illegal in most of the big woods areas. I track when I can, but the conditions can't really be planned for. If you add ML season, there's a better chance that you'll catch good conditions. Likewise, I've driven over to the UP to hunt as well. Their ML season goes till Dec 15, so you have more time in which to catch good tracking snow.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Would it even be worth for a guy to come up to track deer? Looking for something other than just sitting in a stand.
Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by worth it - certainly not to bag a deer, not at least this last season. I don't think anyone we saw or met moved as hard as we did and we saw basically nothing. But I learned some new country, and my son learned some new skills, so in my opinion it's almost always worth it. They just got so badly hammered last winter. I hope with this mild one they'll be in better shape next year. But I don't know it will ever be the same as it once was.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I think so. It's really the only kind of hunting that makes sense with such low deer density. Baiting can work too, but it's now illegal in most of the big woods areas. I track when I can, but the conditions can't really be planned for. If you add ML season, there's a better chance that you'll catch good conditions. Likewise, I've driven over to the UP to hunt as well. Their ML season goes till Dec 15, so you have more time in which to catch good tracking snow.
I'm in the U.P. now, for Christmas. My wife's side are all longtime U.P. hunters, so looking forward to talking to them. Next year I plan to perhaps split the time before and after, into ML, between the Chequamegon and the Sylvania Wilderness.

To the OP-you certainly can have success up there with some time, effort, and scouting. Population is down from the early 2000s and way down from the hay-day of the 50s-70s. Wolves have certainly had some impact but the habitat is the larger variable. When logging was very consistent the population was huge in the area. Targeting clear cuts, areas near ag/cranberry bogs have generally higher populations.Deer density lower away from ag land but big deer are out there. With the western hunting fitness you probably have it will be no problem to cover some ground.

I think in 2021 or 2022 a guy shot an absolute hammer on public in Washburn way back in there. I have not been up there in recent years but is a dream trip to bow hunt for one of the big swamp donkeys in the north woods. Dan Infalt/The Hunting Beast have some great videos and resources on big woods hunting and strategies. Good luck if you make the trek back up north!

To the OP-you certainly can have success up there with some time, effort, and scouting. Population is down from the early 2000s and way down from the hay-day of the 50s-70s. Wolves have certainly had some impact but the habitat is the larger variable. When logging was very consistent the population was huge in the area. Targeting clear cuts, areas near ag/cranberry bogs have generally higher populations.Deer density lower away from ag land but big deer are out there. With the western hunting fitness you probably have it will be no problem to cover some ground.

I think in 2021 or 2022 a guy shot an absolute hammer on public in Washburn way back in there. I have not been up there in recent years but is a dream trip to bow hunt for one of the big swamp donkeys in the north woods. Dan Infalt/The Hunting Beast have some great videos and resources on big woods hunting and strategies. Good luck if you make the trek back up north!
The logging in our area over the past 5-10 years has been more extensive than I've seen in my lifetime. Even the federal ground is getting logged off more than it has for 30+years that I've been paying attention. Habitat looks great. We keep thinking that we should be in a golden age of deer numbers, but it just isn't the case.

Snow tracking is still a great way to hunt low density areas, but stand/still hunting is an exceedingly low probability approach in the northwoods areas I traditionally hunt. There are areas that have better populations than others, so its best to be mobile and explore areas up to 1-2 hours away if you want consistent success. The old standby of hunting close to home/cabin can lead to empty meat poles if the deer just aren't around.

DanimalW

WKR
It seems like there just aren’t many deer when you “go deep” into the National Forest like there used to be. Best deer numbers seem to be near private land with food plots or homes that feed them (despite that not being allowed). Those earn-a-buck seasons hammered the northern deer population in my opinion, and coupled with some harsh winters and more wolves, it just hasn’t recovered like it used to be (on public land). Nice easy winter for those does this year, especially with the loads of acorns. Chequamagon Forest buck in profile picture.