North Idaho November Moose

HUNT JR

WKR
A buddy of mine drew a moose tag for Idaho in November. The bulls should be done responding to calls by then, so I would assume our best bets would be to walk logging roads and potentially track them if we have good snow.

What advice do you guys have/things we should try to locate bulls?

Look for sign near willows. Glass willows and openings where they'd be if possible. Look for tracks and moose sign. It still wouldn't hurt to occasionally call.

I have video of a cow/calf combo in my yard and a bull's nose stuck to her back end.....right before Thanksgiving. I wouldn't count any of the rut stuff as fully over. I'd throw the kitchen sink at them if you can't glass them.

A buddy of mine drew a moose tag for Idaho in November. The bulls should be done responding to calls by then, so I would assume our best bets would be to walk logging roads and potentially track them if we have good snow.

What advice do you guys have/things we should try to locate bulls?
What unit?

You'll 100% be in the snow, I would bring atvs or tire chains, some of the roads in unit 3 get a little sketchy. It snowed on us up there last weekend.

I'm not super familiar with all of unit 3, but the areas I hunt don't offer much glassing at all. Depending on which area you hunt, a majority of the roads are gated up there.

I have seen enough very big Shiras moose up there the last 3 years it's made me want to consider drawing next April, but I have never seen them when the sun is up, it's pretty thick up there. (Where i hunt)

However, there is a lot of clear cuts up there and I seen 7 different cow moose (some with calfs) last weekend in 4 days of hunting, and we had a small bull walk through camp but not a shooter.

One pattern I did notice over past years in unit 3, the big bulls stay up higher elevations. You can shoot me a PM if you know a specific spot you're hunting and I will help if possible.

The panhandle has some big moose, but the country is real nasty and thick.

OP
HUNT JR

HUNT JR

WKR
At this point we aren't focused on any one particular spot. We will be covering as much country as we can, glass when we can, and hopefully get fresh snow to do some tracking if possible. He really wants to shoot a 40"+ bull and has the entire season to hunt, I think we should be able to make it happen.